Water bowl size

Status
Not open for further replies.

HarleyK

5 Year Member
I am thinking about taking my larger water bowl out mainly because I found my redfoot on his back yesterday when I got home from work.

What if he had fallen on his back and rolled into the water dish? Do any of you leave water bowls that are large enough for your tortoise to soak in? Any close calls of drowning?

cherylim

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Leyland, UK
HarleyK said:
I am thinking about taking my larger water bowl out mainly because I found my redfoot on his back yesterday when I got home from work.

What if he had fallen on his back and rolled into the water dish? Do any of you leave water bowls that are large enough for your tortoise to soak in? Any close calls of drowning?

Emrys has a terracotta saucer that's big enough for his whole body to be inside, but isn't particularly deep. He's never flipped over into it, though of course with our torts we can never say they never will. I just take precautions making sure I provide items wherever I can to ensure that he could push his way back to safety if he needed to - of course, they'll only ever be tested if he flips and I'm not there, and then I wouldn't know if they did work.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Your water bowl should not be deep enough for him to drown in.

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
I use terra cotta plant saucers. Non of them are deep enough for them to drown if they flipped over in them. If your tort is under 4 inches get the smallest and then expand from there. The outside enclosure has the next to largest. I don't believe it is any deeper just big enough for all three to get in at the same time if they chose to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.