Wanted: Sulcata

JAStort

Location (City and/or State)
Albuquerque
I am hoping to adopt or rescue a sulcate tortoise about 9-12” that can live inside in the winter and be allowed to roam in the house, with a heated/lighted hide in the living room for hiding out. I have the habitat prepared and am only missing the tortoise. The outdoor habitat is not quite complete yet. There is an 8 x 10 insulated and heated house, with a hide inside. This opens onto an area about 40 x 18 feet with a bark cover and with a section with grass and weeds growing for grazing. I would like a female if possible, but I have no interest in breeding, so a male could also be considered. I live in Albuquerque, NM, and I am willing to drive a reasonable distance (450-500 miles or less) to pick up or meet.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I am hoping to adopt or rescue a sulcate tortoise about 9-12” that can live inside in the winter and be allowed to roam in the house, with a heated/lighted hide in the living room for hiding out. I have the habitat prepared and am only missing the tortoise. The outdoor habitat is not quite complete yet. There is an 8 x 10 insulated and heated house, with a hide inside. This opens onto an area about 40 x 18 feet with a bark cover and with a section with grass and weeds growing for grazing. I would like a female if possible, but I have no interest in breeding, so a male could also be considered. I live in Albuquerque, NM, and I am willing to drive a reasonable distance (450-500 miles or less) to pick up or meet.
Hello and welcome. I suggest you read our care sheets for Sulcatas. Sulcatas cannot be allowed to roam the house.

We'll start with the damage... Sulcatas are very strong, grow rapidly to 100lb+ and go where they darn well please by the most direct route and that can mean straight through walls. Literally. Someone will shortly supply the bulldozer photo shortly no doubt.

Then there's the poop and the pee. You cannot train them and there's a lot from a tort starting the size you want.

Next there's the heat and UVB they require. The floors of your house are cold. Try lying on them for a while. Your tort needs to be ina properly heated enclosure with access to UVB.

And finally there's the risk of eating something they shouldn't. Dust bunnies and human hair impact in the gut. Bright colours mean tasy food to a tortoise and unfortunately they don't have much brain and will try to eat coloured non food items. You only have to be distracted for a while to have a disaster on your hands.

Your tortoise will need a strong outdoor enclosure and its heated nightbox year round. Enjoy the tortoise that you adopt :)

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
IMG_1706.jpgIMG_1713.jpg
Tortoises are not dogs, and it is not safe or healthy for them at all to be roaming the house. An adult Sulcata needs to be housed outdoors full time with a heated nightbox or shed.

The first picture is of someone’s tortoise that they allowed to free roam. If they find something they want to eat, they WILL eat it.

JAStort

Albuquerque
Hello and welcome. I suggest you read our care sheets for Sulcatas. Sulcatas cannot be allowed to roam the house.

We'll start with the damage... Sulcatas are very strong, grow rapidly to 100lb+ and go where they darn well please by the most direct route and that can mean straight through walls. Literally. Someone will shortly supply the bulldozer photo shortly no doubt.

I have seen the bulldozers and am aware of the dangers and how strong they are.

Then there's the poop and the pee. You cannot train them and there's a lot from a tort starting the size you want. I am prepared to clean up and appropriately sanitize any messes they make. I know it can be a very busy job.

Next there's the heat and UVB they require. The floors of your house are cold. Try lying on them for a while. Your tort needs to be ina properly heated enclosure with access to UVB.

There is a heated and humidified hide for him/her in her room. Also, the house is humidified to make breathing easier for anyone. UVB lights are available.

And finally there's the risk of eating something they shouldn't. Dust bunnies and human hair impact in the gut. Bright colours mean tasy food to a tortoise and unfortunately they don't have much brain and will try to eat coloured non food items. You only have to be distracted for a while to have a disaster on your hands.

Basically, her room is the living room where I spend almost all of my time so I can get to know her. All dangerous and distractive items have been removed. My chair is brown.

Your tortoise will need a strong outdoor enclosure and its heated nightbox year round. Enjoy the tortoise that you adopt :)[/QUOTE]

The outdoor area is fenced by reinforced concrete block walls, and require two locked gates to enter. S/he will not be visible from the road or from any of the neighbors. S/he will also have an 10 x 6 foot room with another hide in it, with heat and humidity, a place to burrow if s/he decides to burrow, and an area approximately 6x6 with grass and weeds growing for grazing.

I am really hoping I am able to find one to adopt, because I have done a lot of research, built enclosures according to standards, and will monitor it very carefully. But if it is not meant to be, I will accept that.

Thank you.

Thank you for your input. I really didn't feel I had enough room to specify all of my information in my original post. Her room in the house would be free for her to roam, and free of any dangerous items, not the entire house. The floor is heated because I don't like to wear shoes in the house and I can't stand cold feet. I monitor what is accessible and what is available to eat at all times. I am retired so I do not have to leave him/her at home alone and unattended. I have done a lot of research and heard from many people who allow their tortoises to winter inside and I feel I am prepared for the messes and space taken up in the house. I really appreciate hearing from you, because everyone I hear from has something more that I can learn.