Vomiting redfoot - panic schedule?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dabayliss

5 Year Member
Ok,

I've read the posts and think I know the basics on tortoise vomiting - I would just apprecaite some 'older, cooler and more detached' heads helping me with the reasoning here ....

One of my redfoots (that was behaving fine yesterday) threw up this morning. It was basically the contents of yesterdays dinner (protein day - mushed kitten kibble). He has been eating that for > 10 months and the rest of the herd ate the same - so I --doubt-- it was any kind of food intolerence.

(Unfortunately most of his vomit had been eaten by the time I got there - this is apparantly a 'feast' for the others. In fact it was because he was the only one not eating it I knew it was him!)

So - he is now in quaranteen - and I watched him throw up once more - much much lower amount. Lots of time with his mouth open straining, maybe a quarter of a teaspoon of stuff.

He is still walking around and will drink water - but he doesn't want to touch his greens (although that is not unheard of after protein day anyway).

Now - of all of them he is the 'healthiest' (no pyramidding, no wheeze, never had shell rot) - and has been growing steadily for a year. But he is also the one which will eat ANYTHING (stones, bits of shoes, wood etc). My -complete guess- is that this is more likely to be 'something stuck' rather than something more medical (which I would expect to hit weaker torts first)

So - after the long intro (I'm kinda edgy) - my question is - should I watch and observe for a day or two (keeping him hydrated etc etc) - or is it better to go into an immediate panic and try to find a vet ....
(- I don't want to add a ton of stress into his life if I don't have to ....)

David

dbsneed69

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
TN
I would wait it out a day and see if he passes anything. I'm not as educated as others on this site but it sounds like it's a blockage. I'm sure someone with more know how will be along very soon. Sorry your torty is sick.

matt41gb

5 Year Member
Arlington TX.
It could be many things, blockage, viral infection, ect... I would withhold food for a day or two and make sure it's well hydrated. Take it to a vet as soon as possible. From what I've experienced and from what I've been told, it's not a good thing when a reptile vomits. I bought a wild caught red-foot one time and it started vomiting a few days after I got her. She died the next day. I never had a necropsy performed, but I can imagine she was full of parasites.

-Matt

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Some common reasons for vomiting include internal parasites, septicemia (blood poisoning), and digestive problems. Basically you should see a vet if a reptile vomits, as Matt said. (Source- Dr. Douglas Mader's 'Reptile Medicine and Surgery')

I might ignore one instance of vomiting if the other behaviors are normal, but he is not eating? That worries me.

dabayliss

5 Year Member
Ok - we will book him in for tomorrow. Now he wouldn't eat greens for me; my wife, being a rather softer touch, tried him on banana and flower petals - all of which went down with no problems. Fingers crossed.

zesty_17

5 Year Member
Florida
be careful trusting just any kitten chow, most brands are NOT regulated very strenuously or checked as regularly as they should be and contain a LOT of ash that can negatively affect your pets. Probably not what is going on in this case, but something to keep in mind. Most cat/dog foods, no matter the brand or what the label says contain higher amounts than what is claimed. We have discontinued use of several brands of cat food all together at the zoo because of this.

dabayliss

5 Year Member
The kibble has all the looks of kibble left in water for a day - so extremely mushy but no real digestion.

This morning he was strainig and straining - pushing his head into his shell and starting into space. So I tried the 'hot water' trick - basically bathed him in very warm water for about 10 minutes. He was almost completely limp for the ten minutes (unusual for him - this one is feisty) then suddenly a big poo came out and he went frantic. Put him back in his pen to rest (the vet appointement is this afternoon).
Unfortunately the stool was firm (almost crunchy) and had a lot of dirt and sand - but nothing like a rock or pebble.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
That suggests he was at least partly dehydrated. Passing sand, etc. is pretty typical for a healthy tortoise, but if they become even somewhat dehydrated, it is more likely to be impacted.

dabayliss

5 Year Member
Well - after three days of hot water and 'straining poo' we had a day where no poo came out despite lots of straining. Then yesterday we got out a small poo and a stone the size of half a pea (quite sharp).
He is still fairly still and woe-begone but he did manage to eat three strawberries and two hibiscus today (still -far- too ill to even attempt anything green of course :) )
Give the personality of this one - I won't think of us as 'out of the woods' until he is back to being a pain - but we have a little hope now .....

dabayliss

5 Year Member
For those of you the followed the story; our little monster went back into the herd today. He is now eating, pushing around everyone, trying to steal their food, patroling the boundaries and trying to bash the flowers off the hibiscus. Good to have him back .....

Status
Not open for further replies.