Tortoise Vomiting---Panic??

rebeccalynn1208

Ok don't panic...don't panic....panic...

While getting dressed I noticed my tortoise with her mouth open like she was yawning...except water started coming out...and then grapes from yesterday's dinner...and then a little bit of Apple also from yesterday
....now I began to worry... What do I do????
Stats on tortoise: last weigh in and measure was 7inches at 2 pounds 3 oz. her eyes are clear and there's no bubbles around her mouth or nose. I put her in a warm soak after she finished vomiting and she drank for a long time and now is relaxing in it.
Tort table stats- warm side temp of 77 with humidity at 70% and cool side humidity at 40% temps around 55.
Hope this info helps. If anyone can tell me what to do that would be great.

rebeccalynn1208

Update: she's drinking a lot of water and kind of basking under the light. Maybe she was dehydrated?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I'm not sure, but I think the low temps are too low. What the temp of the basking spot? Tortoises have to be able to warm upto and above 85 degrees to properly digest their food. I don't see any temps that high in your post.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Yes you are a bit on the cool side for young tortoises. The regurgitated food, I would bet is from too much sugars' in it's previous meals. Cut back on your fruits and stay with greens with maybe a 3 day interval mixing in some fruits. Perhaps 1 Day say a heavy protein day. The more varied your tortoise's diet is (and with Redfoots being omnivores it's quiet easy) the better off it will receive a mixture of necessary dietary needs for a healthy happy Redfoot .;)

rebeccalynn1208

The more varied your tortoise's diet is (and with Redfoots being omnivores it's quiet easy) the better off it will receive a mixture of necessary dietary needs for a healthy happy Redfoot .;)

I do have that type of routine with the mixing of food (they go gaga for protein days) but I have been out of greens for about a week now so that makes sense for sure! Thank you!

By any chance can you explain why only one of my torts reacted badly? The rest are fine (and the rest are all younger)

M

Maggie Cummings

I have an Eastern Box Turtle...Who drinks too much, then vomits. It's a regular thing. She ONLY vomits after drinking. And when I watch her drink she really drinks, yet she has water in her habitat 24/7

M

Maggie Cummings

Ok don't panic...don't panic....panic...

While getting dressed I noticed my tortoise with her mouth open like she was yawning...except water started coming out...and then grapes from yesterday's dinner...and then a little bit of Apple also from yesterday
....now I began to worry... What do I do????
Stats on tortoise: last weigh in and measure was 7inches at 2 pounds 3 oz. her eyes are clear and there's no bubbles around her mouth or nose. I put her in a warm soak after she finished vomiting and she drank for a long time and now is relaxing in it.
Tort table stats- warm side temp of 77 with humidity at 70% and cool side humidity at 40% temps around 55.
Hope this info helps. If anyone can tell me what to do that would be great.

To me she's getting too much sugar, and 77 with all that humidity is too cold. My Hermanni has an 90 degree basking spot with 85 ambient temp, Russians like a drop in temp like that 55 degrees, but none of my desert types do. And Queenie thinks she's Sulcata, not Hermanni...she even rams stuff, it's so funny...