Vivarium for yearling tort

ayrgrn

Location (City and/or State)
UK
Hello,
I have a tortoise table that I build for my 1yr 3month old tort it is 4ft by 2ft, I've had my tort since February this year and he seems to be doing just fine, however I am struggling with a small bit of pyramiding due to the low-ish humidity that I cannot really control in a tortoise table due to it being open topped.

I am thinking of buying a vivarium that is roughly the same size, it might be a bit smaller but I have seen some stuff online that has put me off a bit, I'm not too sure.
I've heard that the tort can be a bit confused because of the glass, to solve this I was thinking of doing a shallow patch of substrate next to the glass doors then doing a gradient going deeper as you go towards the back of the vivarium. If this does not work then I was thinking of painting a dark green grass pattern on the bottom of the doors to make it opaque?

Also, I've heard that torts can get respiratory problems in vivs, is this true? I have a Hermanns and I know they are desert so I would try to keep the humidity to around 60- 70%? I would like to get his shell to smoothen out but I don't want to risk his health.

Thanks

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Many people, myself included, have used vivariums or aquariums to raise babies, and it has not been a problem. . . no problems with the glass, no respiratory infections. If you have one that worries the glass, you can just tape a strip of paper around the bottom outside of the glass. What species of tortoise do you have? It's unusual for lack of moisture to cause a Mediterranean type tortoise to pyramid. That's usually caused by diet and lack of UVB.

ayrgrn

UK
Many people, myself included, have used vivariums or aquariums to raise babies, and it has not been a problem. . . no problems with the glass, no respiratory infections. If you have one that worries the glass, you can just tape a strip of paper around the bottom outside of the glass. What species of tortoise do you have? It's unusual for lack of moisture to cause a Mediterranean type tortoise to pyramid. That's usually caused by diet and lack of UVB.
Oh okay, interesting, he is a Hermanns and has a diet of mixed weeds that I grow in my garden that is dusted with nutribal before given to him.
He also has a t8 10.0 uvb strip in the enclosure.

I have been putting him in his humid hide at night and have seen some slight improvement on new shell growth so I do think that humidity is the problem.

Thanks for the info :)

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
Can you offer bigger space for an enclosure that is 6x3? If so, maybe something like this you can do?

Just substitute for a hermanns environment.