Vita Shell

tortoisetime565

Location (City and/or State)
Oklahoma
So, I bought some vita shell from pet smart. I've used it on my bigger torts. Is it even beneficial. I mean it's hoppy and when I put it on them it just sits there and then dirt gets stuck on it and it's a big mess. So my question is, should I keep using it? Is it really beneficial? Thanks all!

Joanne

10 Year Member!
Lancashire, UK
I've read a couple of threads on here and the consensus is that it doesn't do anything but make the shell look nice. I'm sure people who have used it will reply soon.

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
On another Russian tort forum, this product was discussed in great length. General
Consensus was it has too many chemicals used as emollients and stabilizers which are potentially harmful, especially if used often.
I've been using plain old coconut oil I picked up in the backing section of my local grocery store. I use it on all my rescues to help rehydrate damaged and overly dry shells. Another rescuer very successfully used it to loosen stuck scutes. Coconut oil is safe, versatile, and full of Omegas and other nutrients. Plus you can use it on your own hands and face, and cook with it. I'd recommend staying away from these commercial products, and if you need extra nutrition for your torts shells (other than appropriate humidity and daily misting), then try coconut oil. I've been impressed each animal I use it on. It's a very, very fine molecules that quickly absorbs and does not build up and smother the shell, which does need to "breathe".

[SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES][PURPLE HEART]

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
In my opinion, it was manufactured for the keeper, and not the animal. It makes YOU feel like you've done something nice for the tortoise because now, just look...he's so clean and shiny!

If you use it, rub it in well, then polish off the excess with an absorbent cloth.

tortoisetime565

Oklahoma
I think the vita shell is what caused the death of my hatch leopard. The people at pet smart said it would help his shell so I put it on one night and he was fine eating and wandering. The next day he was gone. I haven't used it since. On the coconut oil. What kind is it?

Barista5261

5 Year Member
Central Florida
Also on the coconut oil- cold pressed extra virgin is the way to go [THUMBS UP SIGN] cold pressed keeps all the good nutrients in it and is not lost in the processing [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH]

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
I bought some vita shell. I use it on my hands. ;)