Vinyl Flaps- Where Can I FInd It

Status
Not open for further replies.

borjawil

10 Year Member!
Ok so the enclosure for my sulcata has a opening to get in and out (yes there is a door that covers it) that is 3 x 8 and everytime i go to open it all the warm air rushes out. So I want to put up the vinyl flaps that are used on commercial freezers and the sort. I know you can buy it in rolls but i cant seem to find where. I called home depot and they're not sure. Looked in google still no luck. Im located in michigan and its about 50-40 degrees outside right now and its gonna get a lot colder here so thats the reason I need it.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
There is a company named Overhead Doors in the Wash D.C. area, I don't know if they are local or nation wide. Try them, Or do what I did ,I used 6 mil poly and layered it 6 thick and stapled it across the top and slit it on the ends.The bottom edge is not cut it is folded back up to the top.Here is a pic of my tort house door. I have thought about getting clear poly to use in the winter so the sun will shine through and help heat the house in the morning. Len

borjawil

10 Year Member!
nice tort house len, even has a power supply! I just run an extension out to mine. Any who ill give it a go, was trying to find something local to save on shipping.

Sweetness_bug

5 Year Member
MICHIGAN
This may sopund a little stupid but its owrht a shot. Alot of local business have or are in the process of shutting down. Look for one that you think would have a freezer section like grocery store, restorant, meat market etc..and ask if they have it. you may be able to get it for free lol..good luck.

borjawil

10 Year Member!
good idear I was thinking about that but figured it was a long shot. Not sure of any places around here. THink ill call preuss's pet shop see if they know of anything

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I bought mine online. I just put "vinyl strip doors" in the search box on GOOGLE and bought from the one where I could get it cheapest.

chairman

10 Year Member!
Mississippi
I use strips that I cut out of pond liner for my flaps; they seem to work fairly well. And, with it being winter now, any pond liners that your local hardware stores might still be carrying ought to be on sale.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The thick, clear, vinyl strips made for walk-in freezers is the best. I've used all sorts of stuff, but this works the best by far.

I got mine from a lovely fellow forum member, who got it online.

CGKeith

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arizona
I used "carpet runner". I found it at ACE hardware, several styles to choose from, sold by the foot on a roll.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Look in the dog door section of lowe's or Home Depot. You should be able to find just the vinyl flap replacements. You can just cut them to fit your size. I just got one a few months back, forget the price, but it was reasonable $10 - $15 range.

M

Maggie Cummings

I just had the same problem as the flaps over Bob's door have been up for 3 years and were worn and not doing the job anymore. So after much searching, and of course I couldn't find it at my local Home Depot, I googled "vinyl door strips" and ended up buying from Graingers just today. I bought replacement strips, 8 mil thick, 8 inches wide and 7 feet long. I got five 7foot strips for $55. $65 with shipping. I hope I have bought the correct stuff. The last stuff I used I bought in a sheet, but that store is closed now. This just sounds awfully expensive. But it looks like the right stuff. It's clear and promises not to scratch or tear. So we'll see....

TKCARDANDCOIN

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ohio
I also use the vinyl carpet runner.You can buy like a 12 foot roll at home depot and cut it to size.The roll was like 12 foot long by 4 foot wide if I remember correct and it was under 10 dollars.I double it up and it works great.

M

Maggie Cummings

My strips were delivered in 2 days and look beautiful. They will have to be cut to size, but I really like the way they look...Grainger's...

Status
Not open for further replies.