Safe to use vinyl under Kane heat mat?

CleoTheLeo

5 Year Member
I was wondering if it’s safe to use vinyl under a Kane heat mat? I used water proofing deck sealant on the inside of my tortoises night box, but some of the urine is soaking in and it’s hard to clean. I know putting soil in there will help too but I wanted to add something underneath to help protect the wood. I also think she would dig through plastic sheet or pond liner after a little while. Also her Kane mat now is drilled into the bottom to keep it from moving. Would it be safe to have it that secured to vinyl? Thanks for your help!

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
What I do is put the protective flooring down and then cut a piece of plywood a little larger than the mat and secure the mat to the piece of plywood then screw the plywood down to keep it in place. This way the mat is still on wood and the floor is protected from moisture.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I was wondering if it’s safe to use vinyl under a Kane heat mat? I used water proofing deck sealant on the inside of my tortoises night box, but some of the urine is soaking in and it’s hard to clean. I know putting soil in there will help too but I wanted to add something underneath to help protect the wood. I also think she would dig through plastic sheet or pond liner after a little while. Also her Kane mat now is drilled into the bottom to keep it from moving. Would it be safe to have it that secured to vinyl? Thanks for your help!
Vinyl under the Kane mat will be fine. It doesn't get hot underneath.

I would never use soil with a tortoise, but plain dirt makes clean up much easier. I use a flat head shovel to scoop out the muck and replace the dirt as needed. Regular soaking will help keep a leopard tortoise night box much cleaner. I don't use any sealant or protectant in my leopard boxes. Just plain plywood with some dirt on it.

CleoTheLeo

5 Year Member
What I do is put the protective flooring down and then cut a piece of plywood a little larger than the mat and secure the mat to the piece of plywood then screw the plywood down to keep it in place. This way the mat is still on wood and the floor is protected from moisture.
Great, easy idea! Thanks!

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oregon Coast
Yes, I was questioning if I wanted too much plastic around per se...... I bought all fabric plants that were special for reptile use. No Dollar store ones.🤫Then I made sure to get ceramic statuary so Artemis cannot chew a piece off ever . She is getting big.

CleoTheLeo

5 Year Member

I would never use soil with a tortoise, but plain dirt makes clean up much easier. I use a flat head shovel to scoop out the muck and replace the dirt as needed. Regular soaking will help keep a leopard tortoise night box much cleaner. I don't use any sealant or protectant in my leopard boxes. Just plain plywood with some dirt on it.

Thanks for your help! I meant dirt/soil I just use them interchangeably.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks for your help! I meant dirt/soil I just use them interchangeably.
Copy that. When I read "soil" I am thinking of the bought-in-a-bag type sold at hardware store and nurseries.