Vet gave me batril to try for a tortoise with respitory illness, it's a 2lb Russian. He gave her a dosage of .05, that's seems really high

dj83

Location (City and/or State)
brown city
what dosage should a 2lb tortoise receive. I have no clue on what concentration he used, he normally doesn't do reptiles as the one that does was out. .05 seems like over kill and don't want it to harm or kill the tortoise. All the other meds I gave her in the past were only .01 and .02 doses.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Instead of injecting the Baytril mix it one part Baytril with nine parts sterile saline and squirt it up the nose. Squirt like you want to force something through, not gentle squirts. Don't worry about it going into the lungs, as the nares end up in the roof of the mouth, not down the throat. Do this for five days.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would follow Yvonnes advice over a vet. Most vets have no clue how to treat tortoises.

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
Baytril injections are Hell for a tortoise to go through, I would go with flush of the nares before injections (as directed by the resident Vet here @Yvonne G). Not to offend anyone but there is great results from the flushing.

zovick

10 Year Member!
what dosage should a 2lb tortoise receive. I have no clue on what concentration he used, he normally doesn't do reptiles as the one that does was out. .05 seems like over kill and don't want it to harm or kill the tortoise. All the other meds I gave her in the past were only .01 and .02 doses.
The drug of choice would be ceftazidime which is much more kind to the tortoise and its tissues than Baytril. The ceftazidime dosage is 20 mg. per kilo of weight, so your tortoise would need just a bit under 20 mg. per dose.

Another good thing about ceftazidime as compared to Baytril is that ceftazidime need only be injected once every three days for a mild infection and every other day for a more severe infection.

dj83

brown city
Instead of injecting the Baytril mix it one part Baytril with nine parts sterile saline and squirt it up the nose. Squirt like you want to force something through, not gentle squirts. Don't worry about it going into the lungs, as the nares end up in the roof of the mouth, not down the throat. Do this for five days.
Does it matter the dosage, they gave me the 20 mg baytril

dj83

brown city
The drug of choice would be ceftazidime which is much more kind to the tortoise and its tissues than Baytril. The ceftazidime dosage is 20 mg. per kilo of weight, so your tortoise would need just a bit under 20 mg. per dose.

Another good thing about ceftazidime as compared to Baytril is that ceftazidime need only be injected once every three days for a mild infection and every other day for a more severe infection.
Nope, that is not drug of choice because the tortoise infection is staph and anaerobic so won't work. That more works on strep infections

dj83

brown city
My concern is if .05 at 20mg is too much for a 2lb tortoise.

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
I wouldn't use Baytril, so, in MY opinion, yes, that's too much!
I would agree, there is no need to punish the tort with Baytril.

This is great info to take to the bank. STOP Baytril and make the necessary changes for the torts whole health, including being pain free.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Nope, that is not drug of choice because the tortoise infection is staph and anaerobic so won't work. That more works on strep infections
So your vet actually cultured this infection?

dj83

brown city
I would agree, there is no need to punish the tort with Baytril.

This is great info to take to the bank. STOP Baytril and make the necessary changes for the torts whole health, including being pain free.
Actually it's not good info because that drug is limiting and if you have a staph infection or an anaerobic infection it won't cure it