taking Russian tortoise to the vet for the first time. any tips?

aishajones

Location (City and/or State)
oceanside, california
hello! i got my Russian tortoise when i was very young. i’ve had him for 15 years now and i’m finally financially stable enough to take him to the vet.

i just want to do a general check up to make sure he’s in good health. he behaves pretty normally and i think he seems fine. my biggest concern is that he only likes to eat romaine and i know that’s not great for him. i’ve tried to ween him off of it for a long time, but he is very stubborn.

his beak is getting long too but i try to file it down at home (in small segments of time because he gets upset).

should i take him to the vet? are there things i should look for when looking for a vet?

i’m also um not wealthy so i’m looking at pet clinics. what amount is reasonable to pay for a check up?

(i live in san diego, california by the way if anyone has any experience in this area)

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Me personally, if my tortoise is acting fine eating and pooping normally, I wouldn't bother going to a Vet.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I dont take mine to the vet. If they were to get sick or act funny then I would otherwise I wouldnt. Some vets can do more harm then good cuz they dont know enough about tortoises