Vet appointments?

cbarley2

Location (City and/or State)
York, PA
I have Odie's first vet appointment coming up in a few weeks and I want to know what I should expect. He doesn't have any glaringly obvious issues besides some slight pyramiding (he's a rescue). I just want a physical done and to establish care for my own peace of mind. I know they'll want a stool sample and am prepared to collect one, I just want to know what other people have experienced and if there's any way I can make it less stressful for him? What will the vet be looking for? Also, how often do you take your tortoise to the vet? Thanks in advance!

PS: I'm not sure if it matters but he's a juvenile Hermann's tortoise and I'm like 75% sure he's a he

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Most of us do not do vet visits unless there is an obvious problem where a vet is actually needed. This is because most vets have no clue about tortoises, are not taught about tortoises and usually do more damage then good.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have Odie's first vet appointment coming up in a few weeks and I want to know what I should expect. He doesn't have any glaringly obvious issues besides some slight pyramiding (he's a rescue). I just want a physical done and to establish care for my own peace of mind. I know they'll want a stool sample and am prepared to collect one, I just want to know what other people have experienced and if there's any way I can make it less stressful for him? What will the vet be looking for? Also, how often do you take your tortoise to the vet? Thanks in advance!

PS: I'm not sure if it matters but he's a juvenile Hermann's tortoise and I'm like 75% sure he's a he
Start here for more explanation. This thread will give you a good frame of reference to understand what Wellington is talking about and why you might want to reconsider.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Taking a healthy (or unhealthy) tortoise to a clueless vet would, in my opinion, be more dangerous than not going anywhere.
Very few vets have any real experience with tortoises. And most of what they DO know, they read from an outdated book.

I never bring a healthy tortoise to the vet. And I have a world class exotic vet.

cbarley2

York, PA
Taking a healthy (or unhealthy) tortoise to a clueless vet would, in my opinion, be more dangerous than not going anywhere.
Very few vets have any real experience with tortoises. And most of what they DO know, they read from an outdated book.

I never bring a healthy tortoise to the vet. And I have a world class exotic vet.
I found a local exotics vet with great reviews. I'm going to be in the room with the vet when the exam happens, I just feel like I really need this for my peace of mind. I will certainly keep all of this information in mind while I am there and will likely take any anecdotes/advice with a grain of salt. I just want someone else to lay eyes on my tortoise and let me know I'm not killing him.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I found a local exotics vet with great reviews. I'm going to be in the room with the vet when the exam happens, I just feel like I really need this for my peace of mind. I will certainly keep all of this information in mind while I am there and will likely take any anecdotes/advice with a grain of salt. I just want someone else to lay eyes on my tortoise and let me know I'm not killing him.
If he/she mentions a "vitamin" injection, you know that you're in the care of a novice. Avoid injections.
It sounds like you've done well in checking out this one.
Good ones DO exist.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest

So that's why I never see you on TV...lol

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Sadly they wouldn't likely know if you were killed him or not. Your money to waste, but do realize, most care advice they give is wrong.
At least be sure those reviews you are relying on are because a tortoise was treated not just a reptile.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
It might be interesting, then you could flash hand signals to us watching :)
The last few times I was there, Dr. Pardini was working on my Panther Chameleon with bad MBD.
The camera mounts were still on the ceilings in every room. But there was no filming on those days. And that was probably over a year ago.