Very large, old Male Red-footed tortoise (now "female"!!)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
no! Please don't take my word for it. I'm real bad at IDing the sex of the RF and YF tortoises. Let's ask @N2TORTS or @mike taylor or @allegraf these are the RF people on the Forum.

TeguBuzz

5 Year Member
Texas
Haha, I would appreciate any help. Looking at my other males right now I do realize they have a much longer tail for there size. Here's one of my males tails.
As you can see it stretches behind the rear foot. I just assumed this big gal/boy was a male but I may be wrong.

cc89cb15b351fb5c912a0ab5cdd08850.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
And if you'll notice, his anal scutes are in a softer curve with not as sharp points as the bigger tortoise.

TeguBuzz

5 Year Member
Texas
And if you'll notice, his anal scutes are in a softer curve with not as sharp points as the bigger tortoise.
That looks like a dead give-away! I guess concave immediately made me think male but I'd never personally had a red foot of this size so I didn't think much of it. Either way, this female will be one heck of an addition then (if it is indeed a female - after your input I'm starting to really think so) to my group.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
That looks like a female to me now that Yvonne said something .

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
that's a male last pic shown above my post......;)

ahhh......I see you have 2 different pics ...."my bad" ...let me go back and re-read the thread.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Ok ....first tort pictured at begging of thread is a Female ...(they too can have male attributes - concave plastron when they reach that size/age)

TeguBuzz

5 Year Member
Texas
Ok ....first tort pictured at begging of thread is a Female ...(they too can have male attributes - concave plastron when they reach that size/age)
Ok, perfect - well, I guess the title of this thread should read "Very large, old Female Red-footed Tortoise".

Thanks for all the help everyone.

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
Looks like a big female from the plastron photos. But there is nothing about him/ her that suggests old age. The well defined growth lines showing very little wear indicate the opposite...that it is a relatively young animal. This is especially true of the plastron.
The dull colors of the head only mean that it is an individual with subdued color.

Regardless, it is a neat tortoise!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Looks like a big female from the plastron photos. But there is nothing about him/ her that suggests old age. The well defined growth lines showing very little wear indicate the opposite...that it is a relatively young animal. This is especially true of the plastron.
The dull colors of the head only mean that it is an individual with subdued color.

Sorry that I forgot to reference you as one of our RF people, cdmay. You're on so seldom, I forgot about you. But glad you saw the thread and responded.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio

Yes, i had mentioned the growth lines earlier indicating s/he is not old.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Oh yea, I'll snap another photo of the tail/concave. It's either definitely a male or a female with an extremely longer than average tail and deep concave.
My male redfoot has a larger tail than that.

TeguBuzz

5 Year Member
Texas
My male redfoot has a larger tail than that.
Yes - I was wrong. Again, I haven't been keeping red-footed tortoises for that long and was relating my knowledge on sulcata's to the situation.

The tail on this female is just much longer than that of the tails on my known females. She's clearly just a rather large girl.

In regards to her not being that old, I was told she is 21 years of age. The individual I obtained her from had her for 14 years and she had size to her when he obtained her.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Yes - I was wrong. Again, I haven't been keeping red-footed tortoises for that long and was relating my knowledge on sulcata's to the situation.

The tail on this female is just much longer than that of the tails on my known females. She's clearly just a rather large girl.

In regards to her not being that old, I was told she is 21 years of age. The individual I obtained her from had her for 14 years and she had size to her when he obtained her.
My male sulcata does have a smaller tail than my male redfoot.

TeguBuzz

5 Year Member
Texas
@lisa127 Alright. My 60lb female sulcata has no concave in her shell.

Bottom line is it's a female. I know that now and made a mistake.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
@lisa127 Alright. My 60lb female sulcata has no concave in her shell.

Bottom line is it's a female. I know that now and made a mistake.
That's fine...lol. I mentioned my sully tail because I never kept one before and found it interesting you noticed the difference in the two male differences as well. Wasn't correcting you or anything.