Red footed tortoise help :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

countrygirlcolorado

5 Year Member
Hi everyone!
My family and I just got a 4 year old red footed tort! I have a couple questions:
1) I was told it was a male but my mom thinks it is a female, is there an easy way to tell?
2) he seems to be making a "sneezing" sound. It's a little squeak. He is active and eating alot, is he sick or is that sound I'm hearing an alert sound?
Any help would be greatly appreciated! If anyone has any helpful hints for little guy I could use those too!
Thanks!!
Cheyenne

Attachments

• image-2355195528.png
    image-2355195528.png
    142.1 KB · Views: 75

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
How big is he? We may be able to tell, if he is big enough if you take some pictures of his tail and also the plastron (bottom shell). Hard to give a good answer to the noise he is making, could just be from stress or having been living in too dry of an environment. Give him time to settle in and just watch and listen. See if it gets worse or more often. Almost forgot, congrats!

... will help us to give hints, if you tell us how you have fixed his new home.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
How big is he? We may be able to tell, if he is big enough if you take some pictures of his tail and also the plastron (bottom shell). Hard to give a good answer to the noise he is making, could just be from stress or having been living in too dry of an environment. Give him time to settle in and just watch and listen. See if it gets worse or more often. Almost forgot, congrats!

... will help us to give hints, if you tell us how you have fixed his new home.

Ditto .....

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Keep him very warm and not too humid at this point but well hydrated. It sounds your new little guy might have a slight upper RI infection. Redfoots are noisy lil critters, but shouldn't be to squeeky or rasping.
Eyes clear?
Bubbles....from nose or eyes?

Give us so more info so we can try and help ya out ....:shy:

JD~:)

countrygirlcolorado

5 Year Member
Boy or girl?

Oh and does anybody have any creative ideas for a hide away? I know they sell the half logs at pet stores but I can't seem to find one big enough for my tort. :( any help?!

Attachments

• image-704900603.png
    image-704900603.png
    1,007 KB · Views: 68
  • image-3307168350.png
    image-3307168350.png
    294 KB · Views: 65

Mgridgaway

5 Year Member
Maryland
Looks female to me!

Is the squeaking sound constant or just occasionally, like when she's eating? Mine sometimes makes a wheezy sound when she's got too much food in her mouth or her nares are partially covered. Like others have suggested, be sure to give her daily soaks and moisture rich food. Redfoots bought from stores (not sure if yours is) tend to be dehydrated.

If you want some basic care tips, these are the two guides I always recommend:

Your basic primer:
http://www.tortoisesupply.com/pages/Redfoot-Tortoise-Caresheet.html

Just about everything you want to know (mentioned before and maintained by our very own Madkins):
https://sites.google.com/site/tortoiselibrary/

Vishnu2

5 Year Member
Gran Pulse
I second female. Any bubbles coming from nose? You can make a hide out of a Tupperware. Just cut the appropriate size hole. :)

Nixxy

5 Year Member
New Hampshire
Third, def female.

Tupperware works, or anything right size. I use a cat litter box I picked up for dirt cheap at Walmart, cut a hole in the front, voila.

Status
Not open for further replies.