Red foot growth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mari88

5 Year Member
Hi! I had a red foot tortoise named Wally and I would like to ask you how fast do they grow? I've had Wally for about a year and 8 months. And when I got him they told me he was 9 months old. But when I posted pics in the introductions forum people told me he looks like he is about 5 years old. Was he older than they said when I first got him ( he was 7 cm and now he's 16 cm) or is he growing too fast?? I've been measuring and weighing him every month.
Also do you think it's a male or female?? Thanx!

Attachments

• image-1875179969.png
    image-1875179969.png
    888.2 KB · Views: 84
  • image-224207602.png
    image-224207602.png
    950 KB · Views: 105
  • image-2397287248.png
    image-2397287248.png
    842.9 KB · Views: 95

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Seeing Wally in relationship to your hand, I'd say you have the correct age for the tortoise. He looks like a big two-year old to me.

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
mari88 said:
Hi! I had a red foot tortoise named Wally and I would like to ask you how fast do they grow? I've had Wally for about a year and 8 months. And when I got him they told me he was 9 months old. But when I posted pics in the introductions forum people told me he looks like he is about 5 years old. Was he older than they said when I first got him ( he was 7 cm and now he's 16 cm) or is he growing too fast?? I've been measuring and weighing him every month.
Also do you think it's a male or female?? Thanx!

Very Pretty Female...!

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
6 1/2 inches is a very good growth rate. Not necessarily to fast; depends on what your feeding him. If he eats a lot of mazuri, thats probably why :).

Honestly, I'd say he's a male, but its hard to tell until 8 inches. You can guess before that, but I've seen them change a lot...You can be absolutely positive its a female and then it flashes you...

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I have a three toed box turtle who is 16 months old and over 4 inches long. His hatch date is known, so I know he is definetely 16 months old. If a three toed box turtle can be that big at his age, I see no reason why a redfoot of 2 years can't be the size yours is. He/she is beautiful, btw.

immayo

5 Year Member
Mesa, AZ
My little guy has doubled in size in the 6months I have had him. Although he was only an inch and a half when I got him. I'm sure yours is growing just fine!

mari88

5 Year Member
Thank you all, for responding! :) I'm happy to know she's growing normally

Status
Not open for further replies.