Advice on indoor enclosure: Ventilation? Materials?

MrK_WMS

Location (City and/or State)
Indiana
I know there are a lot of already answered questions on here already, but I haven't quite found exactly the answer I'm looking for so hoping posting my specific questions will help me out!

I'm building an indoor enclosure for my RF. I've seen people use plywood with some exterior paint to help with the humidity and warping. I will line the bottom, but will that be enough to keep the walls from warping/is that safe? I am on a somewhat limited budget so plywood is sort of the most economical material.

My second question is about how much ventilation. I want to keep the humidity up, but should I put some holes towards the top to help with air circulation? I haven't seen much mentioned about that.

Thanks!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I know there are a lot of already answered questions on here already, but I haven't quite found exactly the answer I'm looking for so hoping posting my specific questions will help me out!

I'm building an indoor enclosure for my RF. I've seen people use plywood with some exterior paint to help with the humidity and warping. I will line the bottom, but will that be enough to keep the walls from warping/is that safe? I am on a somewhat limited budget so plywood is sort of the most economical material.

My second question is about how much ventilation. I want to keep the humidity up, but should I put some holes towards the top to help with air circulation? I haven't seen much mentioned about that.

Thanks!
Wood simply will not work. I've tried it many times. Use 4x8 foot sheets of expanded PVC. These can sometimes be found at Home Depot or Lowes, and if not, check with local sign makers. Here is a How-to thread:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/building-your-own-expanded-pvc-enclosed-chamber-–-for-beginners.159220/

Build in vents on the sides and back, but make them closable or adjustable. Only your hygrometer can tell you how much or how little ventilation you will need. Its difficult after the build is done to add more, but easy to close off what you have installed if it ends up being too much ventilation and you can't keep humidity up.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
If you don't feel like you are ready for a DIY thing you can look at portable greenhouses and/or storage boxes/closets/planters (made of polypropylene). The resulting enclosure might be not looking eye-candy, but still provide perfect environment conditions for your tortoise.

(Yes, PVC enclosures look perfect for me, someday I will dare to try and make one).