Vaccination - Death

DaniiGermany

5 Year Member
Hi All,

I am wondering please, has anyone had the vaccination: Draxxin used by a Vet for tortoises whom have a cold/R.I ?
We had both our boys vaccinated with this on Friday and unfortunately one of then died yesterday. He seemed worse after having the vaccination; very legathic, could hardly lift his shell up to move, yawning alot and eyes closed and he was the smaller of the two. Very disappointing and obviously distraught by this. We think his infection was a little too late for treatment, however he was fine on Friday, very active at the vet and he did seem worse after the vaccination. Our other little boy is fine, eating, active and doing his normal routine. However, his size is big so maybe less stress for him with his healthy weight. Any thoughts on this vaccination would be appreciated. Thank you, Danii.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Danii:

I haven't heard of using Draxxin on tortoises, but that isn't really saying much. The usual drug of choice for tortoises is enroflaxicin (Baytril). I did a Google search for Draxxin (tulathromycin) and it has been used on tortoises before. Maybe your tortoise that died was sicker than you thought, or maybe the wrong dosage was administered. I'm so sorry for the loss of your tortoise. I hope the other one recovers.

We have a couple of vets here on the Forum. Perhaps you could send them a PM and ask if this medication is right for tortoises. exoticsdr and deadheadvet

DaniiGermany

5 Year Member
Thank you Yvonne for your reply! And yes, I will look into the advice from the names you suggested :) . Thank you again.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
and just so you get it right... it was an INJECTION of a medication.. Not a Vaccination... so when talking to others or your vet... be sure not to confuse them.

sorry you lost one.. watch the other one closely and check all your husbandy habits.. lights, heat, cleaning, water,,,,

DaniiGermany

5 Year Member
Hi Laura, Yes sorry an Injection !!! Sorry for the confusion, and yes definitely will. Our other baby seems completely. Needless to say, I am devastated about the other one.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Please be diligent on long warm water soaks for the recovering tort...injections of medications can be extremely hard on their kidneys....

May I ask, where were the injection sites on the tort? Front of tort? Back of tort?

DaniiGermany

5 Year Member
Hi Ascott, The injections were given at the front of the lower legs. I am pretty sure they were from remember. For both torts. We were not advised to give soakings by the vet after the injections...

Oh and please note: They are Testudo Graecas - Maurische.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
The injections were given at the front of the lower legs. I am pretty sure they were from remember. For both torts. We were not advised to give soakings by the vet after the injections...

"lower legs" does this mean the back legs opposite end of the tortoise head?

Also, please do soak your tort each and every day in warm water soak for at least 30 minutes...the hydration will help the kidneys ...the system of a tort is designed to hold onto fluids in their system...which in turn allows the meds to settle in there for long periods of time...consistent warm water soaks aid in allowing the tort to naturally clean the old fluid from their system and replace it on a more routine basis...which allows the kidneys to not sit with the heavy dose of meds in them...which is taxing on the kidneys....this is also a normal practice for other animals....

I am just sharing with you useful information and am in no way trying to "tell you" what to do....