Testudo graecas Wheezing Issue

DaniiGermany

5 Year Member
Hi All,

I am Danii and I am new to this web forum.

The main reason I joined was to look for all matters relating to different tortoises and also health related advice for our new Testudo graecas.

The problem is wheezing from both of our babies - over 1 year old now for both.
Appetite and activeness is both fine and normal. Hungry and cheeky!!
Eyes seem to look ok sometimes, but I think maybe a little watery sometimes.
Nares and mouths ok. Nares sometimes have bubbles, this is not to extreme however.
We limit wet food so this eliminates this option.
We feed them only dry food and have regular clean water.
Temps in the tank on average:
Cool side: 80F Thermometer, Near the lampes; 25 - 30C Thermometer and 40% Humidity. We daily spray with water to increase humidity, however it nevers seem to go past the 40% mark unless it is constantly sprayed.
The lampes are turned off at night, producing around 21C Thermometer.
Our first tortoise was making the wheezing, however only recently has the bigger tortoise been doing this to a point that I can hear him at night.
We have had the boys since September this year.
Any advice, thoughts would be great. My own personal opinion is maybe a respiratory infection.
Thank you once again,
Danii

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I think it's too cold at night for your babies. It should be about 75F (24C). You can use a CHE (ceramic heat emitter) at night as it provides heat without light.

For now, because they're wheezing, make it warmer in their habitat...overall 80F during the day and at night. Once the wheezing stops you can go back to a thermal gradient during the day about 80F on one end going down to about 75F on the other end.

If they stop eating, or get colored mucous from the nose, they'll need to see a vet for antibiotics.

DaniiGermany

5 Year Member
Hi Yvonne,

Thank you very much for your advice and reply to my post :) .

What are your thoughts on clear bubbles from their nares ?

They have had this issue since September.

I think I have done too much reading on the internet, as some advice indicates wheezing and bubbles are related to respiratory and pneumonia.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes, that is correct. If you make their habitat hotter, like I mentioned up above, as long as they are still eating, they should be able to shake off the R.I. on their own.

DaniiGermany

5 Year Member
Ok is that great.

I have also been bathing one of them twice a day in a chamomile bath for around 5 - 10 minutes to help with breathing.

Do you think this will help ?

Thank you.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I like to soak the babies daily. I don't know if the chamomile does any good, but it certainly can't hurt.

DaniiGermany

5 Year Member
We are also trialing them for hibernation already so by limiting light and heat. From 715am until 9pm. After 9pm all light and heat is turned off. Is it too early to do this .. maybe wait until they are better ? Sorry I am unfamiliar.

DaniiGermany

5 Year Member
Hi again,

We were actually planning on their hibernation already. Limiting the light and heat from only the hours of 7:15am until 9:00pm.

Is it best to wait until they are better and then start hibernation procedures ??

Also, I may have gotten the "day" temperature wrong. It is between 35 - 40C on the Thermo under the lamp and yes humidity 40%.