UVB time frame & Banquet Block

Status
Not open for further replies.

cknfrmr

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Kernersville, NC
I have a EXO TERRA 160 watt Solar Glo. It is a UVA & UVB MVB. How long do they usually last before they should be replaced? Also has anyone tried the ZOO MED Tortoise Banquet Block? If so what are your thoughts on them. Thanks for your time. Robert

Tnewton

5 Year Member
Id replace it every 6-8 months

cknfrmr said:
I have a EXO TERRA 160 watt Solar Glo. It is a UVA & UVB MVB. How long do they usually last before they should be replaced? Also has anyone tried the ZOO MED Tortoise Banquet Block? If so what are your thoughts on them. Thanks for your time. Robert

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
I Use The Exo Terra 120 Watt, Change Every 8-9 Months

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
The self-ballasted MVB bulbs do not usually need to be replaced until they burn out. The UVB intensity decays rapidly during the first 1 - 3 months and then stabilizes. I have a 2+ year old PowerSun 160 that still produces 70 μW/cm2 @ 18" (45.5 cm).

Your best bet is to acquire a meter so you can monitor and replace lamps (incandescent and florescent) based on their UVB output. You will quickly recoup the cost of the meter by eliminating the disposal of serviceable lamps.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
HLogic said:
The self-ballasted MVB bulbs do not usually need to be replaced until they burn out. The UVB intensity decays rapidly during the first 1 - 3 months and then stabilizes. I have a 2+ year old PowerSun 160 that still produces 70 μW/cm2 @ 18" (45.5 cm).

Your best bet is to acquire a meter so you can monitor and replace lamps (incandescent and florescent) based on their UVB output. You will quickly recoup the cost of the meter by eliminating the disposal of serviceable lamps.
I agree about getting a UV meter, it will let you know when to replace the bulb without guessing therefore saving you money I believe in the long run.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
A few people have talked about the banquet block, not sure if anyone tried it yet...

cknfrmr

5 Year Member
Kernersville, NC
I want to thank everyone for their time and input. Also where would I find a UV meter for sale?

Status
Not open for further replies.