Powersun UV Bulb Alternatives?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Ohhh radiant panels are also used for heated outdoor houses for tortoises right? I like the idea of being able to use the investment later on as well ... what do you think?
YES!!! You can use the same RHP and thermostat in an indoor closed chamber and outside in your heated night box, when the time comes. All you'd need to do is add a Kane heat mat when that time comes. The combo of a Kane mat and a RHP, controlled by a thermostat, will keep a properly built, well insulted 4x4 night box warm all winter long here in Southern CA. I'm in Santa Clarita and we have nights in the 30s all winter long, occasionally into the high 20s, and my boxes all stay warm.

LaSunshine

California
YES!!! You can use the same RHP and thermostat in an indoor closed chamber and outside in your heated night box, when the time comes. All you'd need to do is add a Kane heat mat when that time comes. The combo of a Kane mat and a RHP, controlled by a thermostat, will keep a properly built, well insulted 4x4 night box warm all winter long here in Southern CA. I'm in Santa Clarita and we have nights in the 30s all winter long, occasionally into the high 20s, and my boxes all stay warm.[/QUOTE
I’m In the San Gabriel Valley, it’s about 40 degrees over night. What size/wattage do you think I should go with so that I can do both.

also, If I build it with plywood... do I build a top out of plywood too? I’m in a classroom and my students love to be able to look in and see him... I saw your set up and that looks great... just so expensive.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I’m In the San Gabriel Valley, it’s about 40 degrees over night. What size/wattage do you think I should go with so that I can do both.

also, If I build it with plywood... do I build a top out of plywood too? I’m in a classroom and my students love to be able to look in and see him... I saw your set up and that looks great... just so expensive.
For your outdoor box, when that time comes, the 80 watt 18x28" Kane mat, plus the 21" RHP will do it.

Indoors depends on what you build and what the room temp is. Only a thermometer can answer this question for you. I recommend a closed chamber with doors in the front and a solid top. That is the only way to maintain the correct temps and conditions.

LaSunshine

California
For your outdoor box, when that time comes, the 80 watt 18x28" Kane mat, plus the 21" RHP will do it.

Indoors depends on what you build and what the room temp is. Only a thermometer can answer this question for you. I recommend a closed chamber with doors in the front and a solid top. That is the only way to maintain the correct temps and conditions.
5CA062E0-0BFE-47A6-8D50-AFCC39E96605.png

LaSunshine

California
Do you think I could modify this? Take out shelves. Run cords through back and hang from ceiling?

LaSunshine

California
Or this?

Attachments

• AEBCAE21-D0F2-4F08-BF6C-7E9ECB0DC40F.png
    AEBCAE21-D0F2-4F08-BF6C-7E9ECB0DC40F.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 7
  • 898C9309-A7CA-4D06-81A7-36165C8ECB53.png
    898C9309-A7CA-4D06-81A7-36165C8ECB53.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 6