UVB through plexi glass?

IMG_0124.JPG Hello all! Recently got a new enclosure for my 7 month old red foot. Was wondering if she will still get benefits from the UVB even when it's on top of plexi glass, I've seen some contradictions just wondering what you guys thought here:) here's a pic of the enclosure

Oh k think I'm going to cut a rectangle and then get some wire and put it over the plexi glass.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK Sheffield
View attachment 191502 Hello all! Recently got a new enclosure for my 7 month old red foot. Was wondering if she will still get benefits from the UVB even when it's on top of plexi glass, I've seen some contradictions just wondering what you guys thought here:) here's a pic of the enclosure
There are horticultural glasses that allow UV to pass through, however don't get mixed up between UVA UVB and UVC when reading up, they often refer to it as just UV and it confuses everyone. This is lame man terms as how I understand it.
Forget UVC thats filtered out before reaching earth.
UVB is needed for animals to synthesize calcium.
UVA is needed for plants to synthesize.
UVA is bordering the visible light spectrum so can penetrate very slightly through some materials. But you need UVB for your tort.

Last edited:

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
And there are different wavelengths in the UVB range, not all of which are beneficial to tortoises for the purposes of preventing MBD.

With such a complexity of both which are the useful UVB wavelengths and which plexiglass will let those particular wavelengths through... I think the basic assertion I made to OP at the the start that plexiglass obstructs UVB is simpler and safer.

Not everyone has studied physics! (I have)

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
And there are different wavelengths in the UVB range, not all of which are beneficial to tortoises for the purposes of preventing MBD.

With such a complexity of both which are the useful UVB wavelengths and which plexiglass will let those particular wavelengths through... I think the basic assertion I made to OP at the the start that plexiglass obstructs UVB is simpler and safer.

Agreed, when you read into it it's an absolute minefield. The danger is when you only read a tad, the tad of info can give false information. This I think is where a lot of people think that UV passes through materials for the torts benefit, when in actual fact if you research further in depth it's UVB that's important and won't pass through solid materials.
BTW, It also reflects, I can vouch for that, coming home after a days fishing in the shade under a tree and still got burnt. :eek:

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
My worst ever sunburn was on an overcast day in the south of France in August aged about 15.

I didn't need sunscreen did I? I was a teenager. I knew best.

Important note: UVB passes through cloud. But not through glass/plexiglass/perspex.

jockma

5 Year Member
Los Angeles County
Wire can also block some UVB. I cut holes in plexiglass, then cut a SLIGHTLY smaller hole in the wire mesh so the lamp can sit on top but can't fall in. I put the wire underneath the plexiglass, though. Keeps the fixture sturdy.

I've never been sunburnt despite living in sunburn centrals most of my life. I'm pale but I guess mom slipped me some melanin after all...

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
This whole UV-whatever thing is so complicated to me. But I understand that the important UV for tortoise health is UVB.
Now I want to know - how much if any UVB would be in a 60 Watt incandescent bulb? And in a fluroscent lamp bulb? The pet stores here don't even sell "Repti-Sun" or anything even close! It's for my interest I ask because some days in Jamaica, especially in the mountains where I live, are cold and foggy with no chance of natural sunlight, so my tortoises have to be inside all day.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
This whole UV-whatever thing is so complicated to me. But I understand that the important UV for tortoise health is UVB.
Now I want to know - how much if any UVB would be in a 60 Watt incandescent bulb? And in a fluroscent lamp bulb? The pet stores here don't even sell "Repti-Sun" or anything even close! It's for my interest I ask because some days in Jamaica, especially in the mountains where I live, are cold and foggy with no chance of natural sunlight, so my tortoises have to be inside all day.
From an ordinary incandescent bulb none. From an ordinary fluorescent bulb a tiny amount of the wrong wavelengths, so effectively none.

UVB passes through cloud. So there is every chance of getting UVB outdoors where you are.

Have you tried shopping online for a reptile UVB bulb? Amazon perhaps?

I live in the UK and don't use a UVB as my Greek lives outdoors 24/7 in between his winter hibernations.

I have an incandescent reflector bulb in a dog kennel that my tortoise can bask under on cool and cloudy days.
See this thread:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/outdoor-accommodation-in-a-colder-uk-climate.140866/

jcalpacagirl34

What does OP stand for? Sorry, I never took physics.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
From an ordinary incandescent bulb none. From an ordinary fluorescent bulb a tiny amount of the wrong wavelengths, so effectively none.

UVB passes through cloud. So there is every chance of getting UVB outdoors where you are.

Have you tried shopping online for a reptile UVB bulb? Amazon perhaps?

I live in the UK and don't use a UVB as my Greek lives outdoors 24/7 in between his winter hibernations.

I have an incandescent reflector bulb in a dog kennel that my tortoise can bask under on cool and cloudy days.
See this thread:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/outdoor-accommodation-in-a-colder-uk-climate.140866/
Thank you. So now I know that using an incandescent bulb or a fluroscent bulb will provide heat and light, but no UVB.
Thanks also for the suggestion that I shop for it online. So Amazon here I come! Right now it's really cool and foggy where I am.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
If you are buying a UVB...

DON'T get a compact bulb as they hurt tort eyes. Compact bulbs look like this
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1478811330.970184.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1478811345.853418.jpg

DO get either...
a Tube UVB like this
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1478811526.171703.jpg

Or a Mercury Vapor Bulb (which combines UVB with basking in one bulb) like this
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1478811572.669721.jpg

jockma

5 Year Member
Los Angeles County
No conflicting information here...JoesMum gave an accurate rundown of which UVB bulbs to buy and avoid. Most members here are in agreement about the possible dangers of coil bulbs.

jcalpacagirl34

I understand. I said conflicting bcs I have heard the ones she said good are actually bad and Idk what is true so now I'm confused

Last edited: