uvb lighting help

Ali311

Location (City and/or State)
Southbridge ma
i am just wondering if i have a large enclosure like 8 long by 4 wide, would i need more than one uvb fixture? would i try to have uvb run through half or more of the enclosure? i replied to someone and asked this question but did not post it prior....im still learning to use the site. i appreciate all input. thank you

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
The lighting you use will depend on your environment and enclosure. You would only need one UVB bulb. You could do a strip bulb, and then use regular bulbs for basking. If you need more heat in the enclosure, you may want to use mercury vapor bulbs for heat and UVB. What you want to accomplish is a well lit enclosure that simulates a sunny day, but allows a range of temperatures. The basking area should be near 100F, but the other end should be in the 80's during the day. Night temps can drop down into the 60's. Hope this makes sense, and helps.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
i am just wondering if i have a large enclosure like 8 long by 4 wide, would i need more than one uvb fixture? would i try to have uvb run through half or more of the enclosure? i replied to someone and asked this question but did not post it prior....im still learning to use the site. i appreciate all input. thank you
Since this is a new thread, remind us of the species and size tortoise we are talking about? And what type of enclosure? Open topped or closed chamber?

In general, if all your other heating and lighting is good, you can run a UV tube that is only half the length of the enclosure. The tortoise can move in and out of it as needed. Just make sure there is other lighting in the rest of the enclosure so it isn't dark over there during the day.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I thought Russian from previous posts, but just looked, and baby sulcata? Night temp info above is very wrong. Never below 80F.

Ali311

Southbridge ma
its a baby sulcata and im going to make a closed chamber. so would the basking bulb and uvb 48 inch strip be enough? (4x8 enclosure)... and a CHE for use at night.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
its a baby sulcata and im going to make a closed chamber. so would the basking bulb and uvb 48 inch strip be enough? (4x8 enclosure)... and a CHE for use at night.

Regarding your CHE. Instead of just at night, it really is a whole lot easier to hook your CHE into a thermostat and leave it on 24/7. This way, your CHE is regulating and maintaining nice 80 plus ambient temp day and night.

Good luck

Ali311

Southbridge ma
Im also concerned about the basking area temp. At 48 inches tall, would it be impossible to have a basking area around 95 degrees because the bulb would be about 40 inches from the basking spot? It would be mounted to the top I assume.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I put my heat lamps on a chain, and hang them from above, so I can adjust them up or down as needed.