UVB Lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

saukee9

5 Year Member
Hello! I have a new Russian Tortoise that I bought at a pet store on Saturday. He seems very healthy and happy. I have been able to provide him with natural sunlight since Sat., but I purchased a bulb for him today. the Supply Store had different types of bulbs for different types of reptiles (tropical, desert, full spectrum). I bought the full spectrum 2.0 UVB because it said it was for all types of reptiles. The one I almost bought was the tropical 5.0 UVB. What is the difference and did I get the correct one. I have heat bulbs, correct diet, great habitat run and other stuff, but I was unsure about the UVB lighting. I also have a cuttlebone in his run, so do I still need to do a calcium/vitamin dusting on his food? Thanks for any input and assistance you can provide. :tort:[/size][/font]

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
spain
Hi, I use the 5,0 uv.
For dessert reptiles it would be a 10,0.. I would only use the 2,0 for something like the spectacled caiman.
If your tort isn't nibbling on the cuttlefish then dusting with calcium would be one option.
I do not give my torts any vitamins, if they are given a varied and balanced diet I find it un-necessary.

Watermelon

5 Year Member
Hi there,

I was advised by a pet shop to get 5% UVB Compact Fluorescent - 13w by Exo Terra. http://www.leedspetshops.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=65_70&products_id=278

However then I read the uvb review of this product on the UK UV Guide and the results were appauling. I was then advised by the tortoise trust, by UVB reptile light enthusiasts and by the breeder I bought from to ditch 5%, 10% and 12% lights and to get a Megaray as they emit a lot more uvb results have shown.

This is what I know for the specific light bulb I bought, I dont really know about other brands etc.

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/uvb_meter_owners/

A lot of reptile lights have been tested by the Uk UV Guide however the results are not up on the website yet. However if you join the above yahoo group you CAN see the results in the files section. They just havent updated the actual UV guide website yet!

So you can look up any lights, hopefully yours will come up. :)

Either that or you can post in the forum and enquire.

B

Bret4jsarena

I am too using 5.0 uv, and it will be good for them, it won't harm. I suggest you to use this light.

Status
Not open for further replies.