UVB light enough?

Almitam

Location (City and/or State)
Washington
Hi! I just wanted to make sure that my UVB light is enough for my Russian tortoise, Josie. I have a T5 HO 5.0 UVB 24 watt. Is this enough UVB coverage for her?

I turned off her basking light for the picture. The UVB light is 18.5” from the substrate.
Thanks!!!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 30

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Hi! I just wanted to make sure that my UVB light is enough for my Russian tortoise, Josie. I have a T5 HO 5.0 UVB 24 watt. Is this enough UVB coverage for her?

I turned off her basking light for the picture. The UVB light is 18.5” from the substrate.
Thanks!!!!
That height is probably too high for a Russian and a 5.0.
Check out my post:
REAL WORLD UVB TESTING DONE
I measure these lights both through a screen and without.
Real world UVB test done

Last edited:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Thanks!!!!
That is too high and 5.0 bulbs make very little UV. Better to use a 10.0 HO, or the Arcadia 12% HO.

You also need to get rid of the ramped water bowl before you find your tortoise upside down in it. Sink a terra cotta plant saucer into the substrate instead.

Almitam

Washington
That is too high and 5.0 bulbs make very little UV. Better to use a 10.0 HO, or the Arcadia 12% HO.

You also need to get rid of the ramped water bowl before you find your tortoise upside down in it. Sink a terra cotta plant saucer into the substrate instead.
Okay! Thank you for the water bowl tip!