Uvb vs solar grow

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I have a zoo med t5 ho uvb. Is that light also sufficient for plants or do I need to add a grow light?
We need more info. Are we talking about a tortoise enclosure, or growing plants separately? What species of tortoise? What plants?

blakespinks85

Commerce
We need more info. Are we talking about a tortoise enclosure, or growing plants separately? What species of tortoise? What plants?
In a leopard tortoise enclosure. I want to have grass patches, succulents, ect

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I use some LED plant lights from Home Depot that are $39.
They are blue, red and white. They aren't very bright and grow my Sheflerra plants.
There ARE plants with less light requirements. Smaller plants and things like Pothos....

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
In a leopard tortoise enclosure. I want to have grass patches, succulents, ect
You have my full support in your quest, but I must warn you that many people have failed before you. Anything you try to grow under lights in an indoor enclosure will be eaten or trampled as it begins to sprout. Grasses and succulents will need very bright, full spectrum plant lighting if you want to try to grow them.

Personally, after many failed attempts, I find it easier to grow the food in pots, flower beds, or separate pens, and then just cut off however much I need to feed to them daily. In fact, I just did it this way today.

Don't use sod. Its full of all sorts of pesticides and weird chemicals.

blakespinks85

Commerce
You have my full support in your quest, but I must warn you that many people have failed before you. Anything you try to grow under lights in an indoor enclosure will be eaten or trampled as it begins to sprout. Grasses and succulents will need very bright, full spectrum plant lighting if you want to try to grow them.

Personally, after many failed attempts, I find it easier to grow the food in pots, flower beds, or separate pens, and then just cut off however much I need to feed to them daily. In fact, I just did it this way today.

Don't use sod. Its full of all sorts of pesticides and weird chemicals.
Thanks

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
You don't need special plant lights, just need enough light. Try adding plants with what you have and go from there. If the plant has poor growth, is leggy, etc you may need to add additional light. If the plant changes colors/gets darker (like sunburn), it might be too much light or not be tolerating the UVB well, and will need to be moved away from the light. Or may not be compatible with your set up.