Is this the right light?

Chipchip

Location (City and/or State)
ON
Hi! I have been saving up to get my baby Hermann tortoise a UVB light, and I found the light. I wonder if this one is the one talked about in my previous threads?

It’s Arcadia
110-120V
24W
HO-T5
ProT5 UVB kit 12%

Marsha

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 2

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi! I have been saving up to get my baby Hermann tortoise a UVB light, and I found the light. I wonder if this one is the one talked about in my previous threads?

It’s Arcadia
110-120V
24W
HO-T5
ProT5 UVB kit 12%

Marsha
That is the right one indeed. I prefer that one over all others. I've been using several of them for years and have yet to even replace a bulb. I check them regularly with a UV meter, and they are all still going strong after 3-4 years.

Chipchip

ON
Yep. Been using those for years. Don't forget to use a basking bulb with it! ;)
Yep! I got the 75 watt basking bulb, temperature is 90-93F sometimes I put towel over the enclosed to keep the heat in more when it’s windy by the window. Chipchip loves it it’s so peaceful watching him sleep under that

Chipchip

ON
That is the right one indeed. I prefer that one over all others. I've been using several of them for years and have yet to even replace a bulb. I check them regularly with a UV meter, and they are all still going strong after 3-4 years.
Alright! Thanks Tom! I got the light and I think it looks effective too! Is it okay to just put it on top of the cage? Or does it has to be in the cage?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 3

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Alright! Thanks Tom! I got the light and I think it looks effective too! Is it okay to just put it on top of the cage? Or does it has to be in the cage?
The screen will filter out some percentage of the UVB, but it look like the enclosure is not tall enough to have it inside. I/we can only guess. The only way to ensure that you have the correct UVB levels in YOUR enclosure with YOUR bulb is to use a Solarmeter 6.5 and check it. Every bulb and fixture is a little different, but generally, 12% T5HO bulb from Arcadia in a reflector hood need to be around 18-20 inches away from the tortoise. Most screens will filter out around 30-40% of the UVB, so do the math on that and see if you are in the right ballpark.

Personally, I only use closed chambers, so all of the heating and lighting is always contained inside the enclosure and mounted to the ceiling. I don't like open topped enclosures for baby tortoises.