UVB bulb question

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
You have a choice.

1. Get a UVB tube light and run that with your basking bulb. The tube will need replacing every 6 months as it loses effectiveness

2. Get a Mercury Vapor Bulb and use that on its own instead of your basking bulb as it does both jobs. The MVB needs replacing every 12 months and probably works out cheaper than option 1

kimbreid

College Station TX
Okay thank you. If I go with the MVB do I need a ceramic heat bulb for the nights?I live in south texas and our house is set at 70 degrees at night.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Okay thank you. If I go with the MVB do I need a ceramic heat bulb for the nights?I live in south texas and our house is set at 70 degrees at night.

What species have you got? What size?

You don't need indoor UV at all if your tortoise can get outside for some real sunshine.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have a 6 in russian tortoise. I teach and coach so I can't get him outside every day.

They don't need to go outside every day. A couple of times a week for a half hour is good enough for UV. You ought to have a large, escape proof, outdoor enclosure for nice weather days, where your tortoise can graze, sun, and exercise in the fresh air.

You do not need night heat for an adult russian as long as night temps are staying above 55ish.

Check these out:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have dogs so I won't be able to put him out as often. Where would be the best place to buy the mercury bulb?

Amazon.

Make an enclosure that the dogs can't get into. Its great that you realize the danger the dogs pose. Many people don't. But your tortoise still needs outside time in nice weather. One solution is to get a large dog kennel, like a 6x10, and make a plywood skirt about 12" high inside, add some furniture like logs or large rocks, put in a water bowl, add a hide or three, and lock the tortoise inside on nice days.

There are many ways to solve this problem. Lots of examples in the enclosure section.

Alexio

Syracuse, New York
You can buy them in some pets stores, but the internet will be cheaper. I use the Mega Ray brand some people like the Powersun. Same thing.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
The MVB needs replacing every 12 months and probably works out cheaper than option 1
Not necessarily. The life of the UVB bulb is more dependent on how many hours it is on. If I look at indoor winter use with no outside time - A MVB used as basking heat as well as UVB needs to be on about 12 hours per day. I use a 12.0 HO UVB tube and only have it on 4 hours per day. So only 1/3 the hours burned per day. The basking heat provided by a very inexpensive standard flood. A lot of the year the UVB bulb doesn't need to be on at all this way when they get outdoor time midday yet need to come in and still have light early morning and later afternoon. With a MVB I would have to have it on then, while the tube type can be left totally off

So with the combination ho tube and flood vs the MVB I burn the ho tube probably 1/5 the hours I would a MVB

Both the ho tubes and the MVB are suggested for 1 year replacement for best results by the manufacturer. That's based upon an estimated 5000 hours use life. The actual hours burned has the most effect on life.

Just my thoughts on my choices....

Reactions: Tom

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You have a choice.

1. Get a UVB tube light and run that with your basking bulb. The tube will need replacing every 6 months as it loses effectiveness

2. Get a Mercury Vapor Bulb and use that on its own instead of your basking bulb as it does both jobs. The MVB needs replacing every 12 months and probably works out cheaper than option 1

I know you like to keep up to date on these things:

Deadheadvet recently told us that MVBs are only producing UV for 3 months now and then dropping off to zero. I've heard the same thing from others, and tested one bulb myself that was producing zero UV at about 5.5 months old, so I believe he is correct.

I've got some 10.0 bulbs that are still producing decent UV after 2 years of being on for 13 hours a day, every day. Also, my HO types are still strong after 1.5 years of daily use for 3-4 hours.

I suppose the moral of the story here is that there is no substitute for a good UV meter. None of these times frames that the manufacturers or hobbyists quote seem to hold up.

kimbreid

College Station TX
Okay so with all of that being said I think I'll atick with my basking light and a UVB bulb. So now for the UV bulb is the tube the only one that i good and ia safe for the tortoise or is there a bulb i can put into my clamp lamp that will be good?