uv pass thru

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blademr2

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Vancouver, wa
I willbe getting a couple sullys when they are ready and need to start thinking about outdoor housing. What material has the best uv pass through with high heat retention and where do I get it?

HipsterTorts

5 Year Member
Southern California
I'm not exactly understanding your question :/
What sort of material/ or what will it be used for? I don't think anyone can answer you're question until we know what it is being used for.

Blademr2

5 Year Member
Vancouver, wa
Lol good point.. basicly half the pen will be indoor. I want to see if there is a material that holds in heat but allows more uv to pass through than standard glass. Also i would prefer something that is shatter resistant as i plan to use it on shallow pitched roofs that follow the arc of the sun.. They wont get outside much during the winter and it just seems like they would be happier with some natural light mixed with the mvb. I just want to start calculating costs and sourcing materials needed.. a year or two can sneak up quick :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
There is nothing I know of or ever heard of that will let uv through and hold in heat. Plexi glass will let in some uv but not much, but a smidgen better than glass. Won't hold heat though. It may be possible, to use triple pain glass with argon gas in-between each pain of glass. Will let in sunlight, may keep in heat pretty good, but will not let in uv. Good luck.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

ekm5015

5 Year Member
Didn't Zoo Med make a large turtle/tortoise green house? I remember pictures on their website a few months ago. I believe that was made out of some type of glass/plexiglass that allowed uv in. Not sure what it is called tho. Ill see if i can track it down.

Here is a link to Zoo Med's Turtle/Tortoise Research Facility:
http://zoomed.com/cm/company-information/greenhouse.html

It says it has UVB transmitting roof panels. Not sure what material it is made from.

Blademr2

5 Year Member
Vancouver, wa
Thank you!
Its called uvt acrylic. The only company i found online that shows price was called polymer plastics company or smthng like that. They want 414.00 for a 4x8 sheet, but they dont give specs so i have more research to do. From what i have found since u gave me that link, uvt acrylic allows for around 80% uv pass through. In my opinion thats a quite reasonable price to make our torts happy up here. Thanks again guys n gals!

Status
Not open for further replies.