Viscardi98

5 Year Member
I'm going to built my 7 year old female red foot tortoise a new tortoise table and I'm wondering what heat bulb/lamp is recommended, and what wattage/heat it would need to be, I got recommended a ceramic bulb would be best as it gives out no light. Also what type of UV bulb should I get, a fluorescent tube or a normal UV bulb? Also being that its nearly winter in the UK what's the best way of keeping her warm at night, I was thinking about getting a heat mat but I've heard I have to be careful with them as they can burn tortoises while sleeping.
Any help is very much appreciated.

Cardi

Location (City and/or State)
Poland
I use ceramic heater in the corner for night. Than tort can decide that he wants warmer or cooler.
heating pads are biggest mistake for torts, that can dry off your tort and substrate (in nature sun is heating, not ground)
use tube uvb, and heating bulb (watts you have to compare with your enclosure size and handle high)
your female is 7yrs old, you have questions like a beginner. Why?

Cardi

Location (City and/or State)
Poland
By the way, I'm very happy, that You decided to ask and wants everything best for your tort :)

Viscardi98

5 Year Member
I use ceramic heater in the corner for night. Than tort can decide that he wants warmer or cooler.
heating pads are biggest mistake for torts, that can dry off your tort and substrate (in nature sun is heating, not ground)
use tube uvb, and heating bulb (watts you have to compare with your enclosure size and handle high)
your female is 7yrs old, you have questions like a beginner. Why?

Because I've realised that the setup I have right now is not correct and I just wanted to confirm the best equipment I should get for her, what wattage do you use? I have just purchased a 100w exo terra cermaic heat emmiter, will this be enough and is exo terra a good brand?

Viscardi98

5 Year Member
Tube florescent for your UV
Do not purchase a UV "bulb".

Thank you, what type, I've been recommend the 5.0 version, is this correct? and I'm guessing the length of the tube depends on the length of your table so the longer the better?