Uv led

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Earth
Generally, when speaking of UV and reptiles, it's meant to reference UVB for D3 production. That LED doesn't emit UVB. The LEDs that emit the right wavelengths in the UVB range are much more expensive, as in hundreds of dollars per LED, and you would need many.

Knap_123

Thank you Jaizei , what does the b stand for in uvb? I'm guessing bulb

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Vitamin D3 production is a very specific range in the uv spectrum. It happens only with uv at a few nm within 295 nm. So it's only light between 290 - 300 nm that will allow D3 production in the skin If the light does not produce light in the 295 nm range, it won't fit that need.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I will add that I am finding UVA in this spectrum, is very beneficial in improving overall health, vigor, appetite and breeding activity with chelonians. These lights state they emit 365 nm uv. That is just under the wavelength humans can see but very visable and useful for turtles and tortoises. Since chelonians have four cones vs the three cone we have in our eyes, they utilize a much broader spectrum of light and need that in interpreting their world. In many experiments with hatchling turtles, I have found that exposure to UV light dramatically improves fast starting the hatchlings with them much more active and gaining better weight. I also believe they use uv light they see to judge basking times and locations more so than simply temperatures. So although these lights do nothing for D3 production, I do believe they could offer value in providing a broader spectrum for a tortoise enclosure and limit the amount of time a UVB producing bulb would need to be on

Just some thoughts...

Knap_123

So use as a suplimemntal light maybe? Or to extend the life of bulbs by cutting down on time used? I'd like to mix some in with some 6500K and 5000K to grow some plants in my box build.

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
I have some of those Jungle dawn type led bulbs. Very nice looking in a terrarium, but no useful uvb.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
So use as a suplimemntal light maybe? Or to extend the life of bulbs by cutting down on time used? I'd like to mix some in with some 6500K and 5000K to grow some plants in my box build.
Yes. I use a t5 ho bulb for uvb in my enclosure as well as a double fixture next to it with 6500k 'standard' bulbs. I then have my UVB on for 4 hours a day mid-day, and the double fixture and basking flood bulbs (for basking heat) on 14.5 hours. That saves on the UVB bulb life but provides good lighting. I would actually consider adding some of these led to that combo as it would broaden the light spectrum and make it that much more like natural sunlight. Sounds like a good idea.

Knap_123

I spoke with Jeff at Steve's leds. And there using these diodes exclusively on there Amazon tortoise. Said they experimented with lots of other reptiles as well. But used for a year and have great results. He got into detail about them and the spectrum as well. I can't remember all he said.

Knap_123

He did say theses are uva and paired with some 5000K it will be good for turtles. And grow any plant I want as well.

Knap_123

I have done led builds for my reef tanks and other projects. That's a crazy, jaw dropping price for any led setup. But for me, I'll being DIY and it will cost around $50.

JeffRedFoot

He did say theses are uva and paired with some 5000K it will be good for turtles. And grow any plant I want as well.

Hey Knap! Also to others, I'm not promoting any company or product here, just stating info based on some testing I've done with the UVA LEDs with 2X yellow bellied slider turtles, 1x amazon yellow foot tortoise, and 14 species of snakes over the course of the last 14 months. Granted snakes do not required any UV light to process vitamins - there are some other positive health effects in comparative studies we have done on a few snake species. The tests we performed were not "basement" experiments, instead, they were based off the standard scientific method and principles, while under keen observation and strict environmental controls.

Regarding the requirement of UVB light pertaining to those reptiles that require it to process vitamin D3, I am NOT refuting this fact (that UVB can allow the animal to produce D3). I am however providing some impartial insight based on some successful experimentation on alternative light spectrums, to suffice as a replacement for the expensive and consumable nature of current UVB bulbs, without using the UVB spectrum.

Before I spend too much time sharing my findings, I first want to make sure I am welcome to post here, without breaking forum rules/regulations/etc. All too many times I make a good effort to share some interesting information, only for a moderator to delete my efforts.

If you are interested in what I found, just let me know, I'm glad to share. Reptiles and LEDs have been my hobbies for more than 14 years.

Thanks!
Jeff
Herbie.jpg

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Regarding the requirement of UVB light pertaining to those reptiles that require it to process vitamin D3, I am NOT refuting this fact (that UVB can allow the animal to produce D3). I am however providing some impartial insight based on some successful experimentation on alternative light spectrums, to suffice as a replacement for the expensive and consumable nature of current UVB bulbs, without using the UVB spectrum.

I'd like to see evidence that other wavelengths synthesize D3.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hey Knap! Also to others, I'm not promoting any company or product here, just stating info based on some testing I've done with the UVA LEDs with 2X yellow bellied slider turtles, 1x amazon yellow foot tortoise, and 14 species of snakes over the course of the last 14 months. Granted snakes do not required any UV light to process vitamins - there are some other positive health effects in comparative studies we have done on a few snake species. The tests we performed were not "basement" experiments, instead, they were based off the standard scientific method and principles, while under keen observation and strict environmental controls.

Before I spend too much time sharing my findings, I first want to make sure I am welcome to post here, without breaking forum rules/regulations/etc. All too many times I make a good effort to share some interesting information, only for a moderator to delete my efforts.

If you are interested in what I found, just let me know, I'm glad to share. Reptiles and LEDs have been my hobbies for more than 14 years.

Thanks!
Jeff
View attachment 182337

@JeffRedFoot Hi Jeff:

I think your insight and experiment finding are very welcome on the Forum, however, you should start your own thread, perhaps under either 'health' or 'lighting.'

Knap_123

Just got my leds and will start my build later. As soon as om all set up. I'll adopt my tortoise . I have contacted a reptile vet at auburn university . They will do a checkup and blood work for me. Then I'll go back for further checkups.

Knap_123

There working on there site. Click on the link and when you see oops, site not found. There's a little home link at the bottom. Click on it.