Uv led

Knap_123

Has anyone tried led uv lights to replace uv bulbs? Not only is it more cost efficient , it puts out less heat. A DIY led setup can be done pretty cheap or not. Depending if you want to add a meanwell driver for dimming or such.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I know of no one using these yet. I also have not heard of LEDs that emit the correct UV spectrum. Do we have them on the market now? Link for us to check out maybe?

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Hi knap

These LED's are for UVA not UVB. UVB falls in 280 to 315nm. UVA falls in 315 to 400nm I think.
You need UVB for reptiles.

Knap_123

I hope Jeff will get in on this topic. He explained it to me but I can't remember the details. But they've tested and no the wavelengths needed.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Just in short without much detail and just tid-bits of info…. First we must understand the types of UV light and the way a reptile/tortoise consumes it. (short version).

UVA is a wave length of light that is most responsible for “vision”. This type of wave length which is around 300-400nm allows your tortoise to detect movements, recognize other species and their own, but also responsible for activity levels ex: foraging, food detection, social behavior, reproduction ect….We (humans) have 3 types of color receptors- red, blue, green. Reptiles/tortoises have a fourth that we can’t see in UVA but they use to thrive in everyday life as explained above. Plain and simple …Lack of UVA light impairs their ability to interact with their environment.

UVB is necessary to maintain proper Vitamin D3 and calcium levels in the reptile's system. When a reptile is exposed to UVB light, the UVB light regulates the synthesis of Vitamin D3. It is Vitamin D3 that allows reptiles to properly absorb and metabolize calcium….. In fact, UVB light is the primary source of D3 for many reptiles. Reptiles that do not get enough UVB light do not make enough Vitamin D3. This lack of calcium can lead to problems in tortoises such as MBD- metabolic bone disease.

;)

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
There ARE UVB LED's. However, they aren't generally efficient, or entirely appropriate in the D3 creating range. I don't think there are any commercial reptile products that get the UVB from the LEDs. The ones I saw had a separate florescent bulb.