UV specific light recommendations

eliseandboris

Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
Hi again :) I need to provide a uvb light source for a russian tort. I’d rather keep costs low-ish. Not my tortoise and i’m spending $ left and right trying to improve his situation. There’s so much info and so many lights. I need a fixture and light I can hang for around $50 or less preferably. Thanks!

Quoting Tom i’m looking for this - T5 HO tubes are best. Arcadia makes the Pro T5 kits in several lengths. ZooMed has a 10.0 HO tube that is safe, effective and reliable. There are some new LED UVB bulbs hitting the market now too. The cheaper ones don't do much, but some of the pricier ones work great. I'm running several of the ZooMed LED UV bulbs and they are fantastic.

eliseandboris

Massachusetts
IMG_7332.jpegthis is his current set up which will be changing soon. i didn’t create this and have only been trying to improve it. no longer using the double light fixture. i just have a basking light on him. i guess i need ambient and uvb. would like something i can put on a hanger to adjust height.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Hello!

https://www.lightyourreptiles.com/arcadia-pro-t5-fixture-12-bulb-22-5-sale-now-only-69-99/ - here is one of the best available options. I understand, it's out of the budget you mentioned, but these lamps have longer lifespan than many others (several years if run 3-4 hours a day).

If you can tell the terrarium height, I can check if T8 lamps are suitable. They have lower output (you'll have to hang it under the mesh), but cheaper.

For the ambient light you can get any neutral or cold day light LED bulb.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The only thing I see at that price point is a brand called "Repti-Zoo". I've never heard of that brand or used it, and I don't know of anyone who has that can vouch for its safety or effectiveness.

Maybe another member here has used one, has a Solarmeter 6.5, and can tell you that it is safe and effective. I can't.

There is a lot of bad, dangerous, cheap stuff on the market. This is not an area that I would skimp on. UV can be very dangerous, and at the same time, it is necessary for the health of your tortoise that it is working correctly.

eliseandboris

Massachusetts
Hello!

https://www.lightyourreptiles.com/arcadia-pro-t5-fixture-12-bulb-22-5-sale-now-only-69-99/ - here is one of the best available options. I understand, it's out of the budget you mentioned, but these lamps have longer lifespan than many others (several years if run 3-4 hours a day).

If you can tell the terrarium height, I can check if T8 lamps are suitable. They have lower output (you'll have to hang it under the mesh), but cheaper.

thank you! the height is 16 inches, but i hope to change this enclosure quickly. Hanging something below mesh sounds difficult. I’d pay $20 to not deal with that 😂
I’m confused if the basking bulb is considered ambient light? it’s providing heat and is an incandescent bulb (not a spot).
Is the light you recommend to provide all 3 UVA - UVB and UV? Is UV just the name for both?
Thanks so much!

eliseandboris

Massachusetts
The only thing I see at that price point is a brand called "Repti-Zoo". I've never heard of that brand or used it, and I don't know of anyone who has that can vouch for its safety or effectiveness.

Maybe another member here has used one, has a Solarmeter 6.5, and can tell you that it is safe and effective. I can't.

There is a lot of bad, dangerous, cheap stuff on the market. This is not an area that I would skimp on. UV can be very dangerous, and at the same time, it is necessary for the health of your tortoise that it is working correctly.
I think I’ll go with the recommendation listed above. For $70 if that’s the best option, I’d rather be safe than sorry.
I’m not understanding everything I’ve read, and I’ve read through here a lot. Maybe not the right stuff -or- I’m just not clear on what is confusing. Would that light Alex recommended supply all the UV - UVA - and UVB? I know i need a meter and to only do IV every once and a while, but this is all boggling my mind. Right now he has an incandescent bulb (not a spot) for heat. Is this providing the “ambient” light I need?
I’m not even sure if that means anything besides “mood lighting” 😂

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
thank you! the height is 16 inches, but i hope to change this enclosure quickly. Hanging something below mesh sounds difficult. I’d pay $20 to not deal with that 😂
I’m confused if the basking bulb is considered ambient light? it’s providing heat and is an incandescent bulb (not a spot).
Is the light you recommend to provide all 3 UVA - UVB and UV? Is UV just the name for both?
Thanks so much!
1. Perfect! Perhaps 20$ now will save you 50$ later on lamp changes.

2. Basking bulb gives heat and brighter light, like a sun patch. We can compare it to a desk lamp. Ambient light gives overall lightning in the enclosure, like ceiling light in the room.

3. UV means ultraviolet. It's like colored stripes of the rainbow after violet, invisible for human eye. UVB and UVA are names of these colored stripes. Tortoises can see the UVA "color". Yes, the lamp I mentioned gives both UVA and UVB (most of the UVB reptile lamps do).

Reactions: Tom

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I think I’ll go with the recommendation listed above. For $70 if that’s the best option, I’d rather be safe than sorry.
I’m not understanding everything I’ve read, and I’ve read through here a lot. Maybe not the right stuff -or- I’m just not clear on what is confusing. Would that light Alex recommended supply all the UV - UVA - and UVB? I know i need a meter and to only do IV every once and a while, but this is all boggling my mind. Right now he has an incandescent bulb (not a spot) for heat. Is this providing the “ambient” light I need?
I’m not even sure if that means anything besides “mood lighting” 😂
Basking bulbs are great for basking, but they are relatively dim and the color isn't right for simulating a bright sunny day outside. Your UV tube will only be on for a few hours mid day, so yes, more ambient light is needed. You can use a LED strip, like something that would be mounted under a cabinet to light up the counter top, or you can use a screw in type globe in another fixture that can rest on top. Either works and should be easy to add on. The ambient LED bulb can be plugged in to the same timer that turns the heat lamp on and off. Get a LED in the 5000-6500K color range. This will be on the side of the package.

eliseandboris

Massachusetts
1. Perfect! Perhaps 20$ now will save you 50$ later on lamp changes.

2. Basking bulb gives heat and brighter light, like a sun patch. We can compare it to a desk lamp. Ambient light gives overall lightning in the enclosure, like ceiling light in the room.

3. UV means ultraviolet. It's like colored stripes of the rainbow after violet, invisible for human eye. UVB and UVA are names of these colored stripes. Tortoises can see the UVA "color". Yes, the lamp I mentioned gives both UVA and UVB (most of the UVB reptile lamps do).
Wonderful! Thank you SOOOOO much for the help! Boris and I appreciate all the knowledge:)

eliseandboris

Massachusetts
Basking bulbs are great for basking, but they are relatively dim and the color isn't right for simulating a bright sunny day outside. Your UV tube will only be on for a few hours mid day, so yes, more ambient light is needed. You can use a LED strip, like something that would be mounted under a cabinet to light up the counter top, or you can use a screw in type globe in another fixture that can rest on top. Either works and should be easy to add on. The ambient LED bulb can be plugged in to the same timer that turns the heat lamp on and off. Get a LED in the 5000-6500K color range. This will be on the side of the package.
cool thanks! so i just need that, a UV, and the basking bulb i have. thanks so much for then help!

eliseandboris

Massachusetts
Hello!

Hey Alex, I just bought the light you linked. Any idea if i can put it on hooks on two stands? Just want to be prepared to use it properly. I have one like this and it would be nice to get another one to hook that to.

Hypool Reptile Heat Lamp Stand... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BCP3T11W/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I've been using ZOOMED REPTIZOO (REPTISUN) T5 HO fixtures and tubes for several years.
24" (23" tube) in 5.0 and currently with 10.0 tubes.
I find them to be very high quality and reliable

Last edited:

eliseandboris

Massachusetts
Thanks for the info, but I ended up buying the arcadia set up earlier. A little more expensive than I wanted, but it seemed like a good idea.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Hey Alex, I just bought the light you linked. Any idea if i can put it on hooks on two stands? Just want to be prepared to use it properly. I have one like this and it would be nice to get another one to hook that to.

Hypool Reptile Heat Lamp Stand... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BCP3T11W/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20
I would just "drop" it on the mesh. UVB light from the lamps is partially filtered by the mesh (up to 30%) and quickly fades with distance.

But if you want more reliable mounting, yes, you can use the hook stands.This lamp fixture comes with two metallic brackets to screw them to the ceiling and "click in" the fixture itself. You can make a "loop" out of a plastic zip tie, pull it through the screw hole, click in the fixture and hang it. I'll try to make a photo or a drawing a bit later.

eliseandboris

Massachusetts
I would just "drop" it on the mesh. UVB light from the lamps is partially filtered by the mesh (up to 30%) and quickly fades with distance.

But if you want more reliable mounting, yes, you can use the hook stands.This lamp fixture comes with two metallic brackets to screw them to the ceiling and "click in" the fixture itself. You can make a "loop" out of a plastic zip tie, pull it through the screw hole, click in the fixture and hang it. I'll try to make a photo or a drawing a bit later.
You are so super nice to offer to do a drawing. it sounds easy enough. i was mostly wondering if it came with hanging things. thank so much for being so helpful!

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
You are so super nice to offer to do a drawing. it sounds easy enough. i was mostly wondering if it came with hanging things. thank so much for being so helpful!
Yes, it is really easy to do. Sorry, I'm not very good at drawing :) There are three ways to attach zip tie to a bracket. Number 3 is the easiest and more reliable (pull a zip tie through the screw hole in a bracket and that's it).

Attachments

• PXL_20240209_135504318.jpg
    PXL_20240209_135504318.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5

HoosierTort

Indianapolis

Repti-zoo is hit or miss. I’ve bought most available “UV” bulbs off Amazon and tested them on my solarmeter 6.5 and some have good reading but most are junk. Repti-Zoo have been about 50/50.