Using sand as bedding?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UMDRunner

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Duluth, MN
I have been using Eco earth for the past two years for my two Russian torts. I have two enclosures that they can walk back and forth to using a ramp. Im thinking about putting some sand from my local beach (very fine white sand) into the smaller enclosure as an alternate substrate for them to move around in (I have brought them to the beach before and they were extremely active and playful in it). Would this be a good idea?

Thanks

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Pure sand is usually a no-no due to the risk of impaction. If mixed in with substrate such as eco earth, that is acceptable (I think some say 50-50 by weight, or less, of sand). Some think the sand makes the eco earth easier for the tort to burrow through. Some sand is tasty to the tort, so you'd want to beware of that. It's your personal choice though, but pure sand would usually not be advisable in captivity.

UMDRunner

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Duluth, MN
tortoisenerd said:
Pure sand is usually a no-no due to the risk of impaction. If mixed in with substrate such as eco earth, that is acceptable (I think some say 50-50 by weight, or less, of sand). Some think the sand makes the eco earth easier for the tort to burrow through. Some sand is tasty to the tort, so you'd want to beware of that. It's your personal choice though, but pure sand would usually not be advisable in captivity.

Thanks for the tip. Ill make that mixture then.

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi...I wouldn't use sand from the beach. Dogs and birds and maybe humans have pottied on it. There is salt & bacteria in it. Cleaned sand from Home Depot is safe and isn't expensive...and definitely safer/healthier.
Good luck
Patsy

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I agree with that too. The "play sand" they sell is also larger particles. I think their huge bag is about $6.

Status
Not open for further replies.