Eco-Earth & Sand... but why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shelli

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Antigua West Indies
(sorry can someone move this to products)
I have done a search but couldnt' find really why the Eco-Earth/Bed a Beast, coco-coir is mixed with sand other than everyone does it..
I had bought some Eco Earth for Olive and had it in for her for about 4 days then started to panic (but I didnt' know why) to go out and get some sand to mix in so the day before yesterday I mixed it with 30% sand..
Just wondering why I did that :cool:

Tx

BigBiscuit

5 Year Member
Iowa, U.S.
The eco-earth isn't going to spoil when the torts urinate on it, and when mixed with sand, it does a good job of simulating real soil. Also, the eco-earth can hold a lot of moisture if needed. With the mixture, they can burrow easily.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
The sand supposedly makes it hold it shape more for the tort to dig in. The coconut coir on its own tends to be too moist unless dried out a bit first for species like a Russian. Make sure the coir is fully expanded. Substrate is a personal choice, so even if something is popular, that doesn't mean you have to use it. Pick what is safe, and what you and the tort like. For a Redfoot, you may prefer not to use sand to keep it more moist and like a rain forest, texture-wise. Many use sphagnum moss for all or part of the enclosure.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Sand also helps with drainage and humidity control- the more sand, the more drainage and the drier the mix.

With my Red-foots I prefer to add sand to the mix to keep it from turning into a hard, wet mass and to better simulate the soils of their home.

Status
Not open for further replies.