Using one extension cord

TaylorTortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Abington
Are you trying to use a power strip with an extension cord? That is not recommended. But you can find power strips with very long cords.

Im using that exact extension cord and plugging it into an outlet. But, I have a baby on the way and I have another light fixture with two dome fixtures attached.

ZenHerper

New Jersey
You have to get someone at home to figure out what type of breaker that line is plugged into. It has to be strong enough to handle the total amount of current for all of your fixtures together.

An electrician can upgrade to a stronger breaker in your electrical box if needed.

TaylorTortoise

Abington
How can I tell if it's strong to begin with?
Also, what if I bought another extension cord or a good one from home depot so two seperate exptension cords going into one outlet with two seperate units to plug in for the extension cords. Would this work?

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Each (single or duplex) outlet in the house is on a wiring circuit that goes back to the electrical supply box (the breaker box).

Each breaker has a Amperage rating. Some home appliances (washer/dryers, refrigerators, large microwaves) need stronger current than standard plug-in stuff...so there are certain breakers in the electrical box that are higher amps than usual.

In order to know if the duplex outlet you have in mind can supply the safe current needed to run your fixtures without "tripping" the breaker shut off (or potentially causing a fire in the wall), you have to look at the breakers in the breaker box in the house. Hopefully they've been labelled as to what room/circuit they go to at your house.

You add up all of your fixture voltages and compare that to the maximum voltage on the circuit breaker of the outlet you have in mind, or find an unused "heavy duty" breaker line.

If you need more current than that outlet can manage, and all of your "heavy duty" breakers are being used, an electrician can upgrade a breaker and its wiring to support a stronger load on that outlet.

This calculator lets you convert watts to amps:

ZenHerper

New Jersey
I'm not a fan of putting that much draw on any one duplex outlet. But let's say for the sake of discussion that that outlet is on a 10 amp supply breaker, and that is plenty of current for the 8-odd fixtures you envision needing (seems like a lot of hardware to me, but).

That does not take into account the hardwired things that may also be on that circuit (overhead room lights and switches, thermostats, etc.). And there are all other outlets that are on that circuit...say a TV in the room, a computer, lamp, fan...and then someone comes in and needs to plug in a vacuum cleaner from time to time.

The amperage of the circuit that supplies your outlet has to be sufficient for all other purposes attached to (or potentially attached to) that circuit.

Theoretically, the answer is "yes". Practically, the answer is "not necessarily" or "it depends".

You need the help of someone at home who knows how the wiring works in your house and how much this circuit is used besides the strength of current you want to pull through this one duplex outlet.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Is it okay to use multiple lighting fixtures using one extension cord? Are there any risks?
Your extension cord should be marked with the maximum wattage it is rated for. If you are below that in the total wattage used if everything is turned at the same time it should be safe.

TaylorTortoise

Abington
What do you mean by marked with the maximum wattage it is rated for?
Can it cause a fire or explosion or something to use two separate extension cords for one outlet?

TaylorTortoise

Abington
Your extension cord should be marked with the maximum wattage it is rated for. If you are below that in the total wattage used if everything is turned at the same time it should be safe.
I guess calculate how much wattage I am using for the extension cord to see if it's safe? Is this what you mean?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
What do you mean by marked with the maximum wattage it is rated for?
Can it cause a fire or explosion or something to use two separate extension cords for one outlet?
Can you post some pics of your socket/s and your extension leads?
The information about the max wattage may be on the back of the ext. lead.

If you have trip switches in your fuse box then that should cut out before any fires, but you don't want the elec supply cut off, if the socket for your fridge/freezer is on the same circuit and you're not there to reset it.
Your fuse box may be labelled with the different circuits.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
How can I tell if it's strong to begin with?
Also, what if I bought another extension cord or a good one from home depot so two seperate exptension cords going into one outlet with two seperate units to plug in for the extension cords. Would this work?

Where is the outlet you'll be using?

If you're just plugging in lights for 2 enclosures, you're probably fine as far as the outlet go.

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
So, If you don't mind, I'll chime in.
As a Retired Senior Maintenance Technician @ a Sewage Treatment Plant.
Typically the lowest amperage a US home has for breakers for outlets is 15a, 20a is more likely. You can look at the breaker lever and it will say 15(a) or 20(a). That is equivalent to 1800 Watts. ( 15a x 120v= 1800watts) or (20a x 120v = 2400 watts.) Depending on the size of the power cord It may or may not be able to take that Load. This being said, also, how much other stuff is on that breaker.
BUT, the question is about the extension Cord.
Note: All cords have imprinted on the side about every foot the size and rating.
A 16ga cord can take 1500+ watts, 14ga, 1800 watts, & 12 ga up to 2000+watts.. This being said, the typical light bulb or CHE is about 100+ watts, so even with a 25 foot 16ga extension cord, you should be fine with multiple bulbs, and if the power cord is 14 ga or 12 ga, all the better. The shorter the cord all the better.
If in doubt, plug in the load,and feel the cord after running for a while, if the cord is warm, it may be fine, if it gets hot, un-plug and get another cord, and try again. (Cords do age (plug contacts get weak))
I hope this helps...
If this brings up more questions, Just ask, I'd be happy to answer//// smiles....
From my experience...

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
So, If you don't mind, I'll chime in.
As a Retired Senior Maintenance Technician @ a Sewage Treatment Plant.
Typically the lowest amperage a US home has for breakers for outlets is 15a, 20a is more likely. You can look at the breaker lever and it will say 15(a) or 20(a). That is equivalent to 1800 Watts. ( 15a x 120v= 1800watts) or (20a x 120v = 2400 watts.) Depending on the size of the power cord It may or may not be able to take that Load. This being said, also, how much other stuff is on that breaker.
BUT, the question is about the extension Cord.
Note: All cords have imprinted on the side about every foot the size and rating.
A 16ga cord can take 1500+ watts, 14ga, 1800 watts, & 12 ga up to 2000+watts.. This being said, the typical light bulb or CHE is about 100+ watts, so even with a 25 foot 16ga extension cord, you should be fine with multiple bulbs, and if the power cord is 14 ga or 12 ga, all the better. The shorter the cord all the better.
If in doubt, plug in the load,and feel the cord after running for a while, if the cord is warm, it may be fine, if it gets hot, un-plug and get another cord, and try again. (Cords do age (plug contacts get weak))
I hope this helps...
If this brings up more questions, Just ask, I'd be happy to answer//// smiles....
From my experience...

Good explanation. I was going to add additional info on the extension cord wire gauge, but you have it nicely covered above. As well as the 15a vs 20a circuits.

For the OP....you don’t want to use any old small gauge extension cord like you normally have around the house. Always best to use a heavier gauge extension.

Home Depot has a good range - https://www.homedepot.com/p/DUROMAX...-Tap-Extension-Power-Cord-XPC10100C/302795674

Personally, i use many different extension cords to various lights, Radiant Heat Panels, Kane Mats, & an oil radiator. Keeps any one circuit from being overloaded.

If all you have are a few lights, a CHE or RHP, just purchase a decent extension cord. A few grades better than dollar store gauge for a house lamp.

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
Good explanation. I was going to add additional info on the extension cord wire gauge, but you have it nicely covered above. As well as the 15a vs 20a circuits.

For the OP....you don’t want to use any old small gauge extension cord like you normally have around the house. Always best to use a heavier gauge extension.

Home Depot has a good range - https://www.homedepot.com/p/DUROMAX...-Tap-Extension-Power-Cord-XPC10100C/302795674

Personally, i use many different extension cords to various lights, Radiant Heat Panels, Kane Mats, & an oil radiator. Keeps any one circuit from being overloaded.

If all you have are a few lights, a CHE or RHP, just purchase a decent extension cord. A few grades better than dollar store gauge for a house lamp.
Maro2bear, brings up some good points.
Additionally, using multiple cords is ok, but just be aware that usually all the outlets in one room will be on one circuit, or outlets around the perimeter of your home.
If you do this as I had mentioned in post #14 , depending what is also on those circuits, you should have plenty of capacity, unless you were to have a high load appliance that is also on the circuit as in a electric space heater which can use up to 1500+ watts.
If using multiple cords, just take care of the potential trip hazard.
And DO NOT use one of the outlet multiplier that gives you several outlets from one.442e9a23-7420-445f-87b6-1d50a1419afa.jpg
Thank you Maro2Bear for your input.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Maro2bear, brings up some good points.
Additionally, using multiple cords is ok, but just be aware that usually all the outlets in one room will be on one circuit, or outlets around the perimeter of your home.
If you do this as I had mentioned in post #14 , depending what is also on those circuits, you should have plenty of capacity, unless you were to have a high load appliance that is also on the circuit as in a electric space heater which can use up to 1500+ watts.
If using multiple cords, just take care of the potential trip hazard.
And DO NOT use one of the outlet multiplier that gives you several outlets from one.View attachment 324840
Thank you Maro2Bear for your input.

Yes. I should have noted that I use several heavy gauge cords to spread the load out in our basement. Not all on the same circuit.