(Extension Cables) for lighting equipment!

EllisEditz

Location (City and/or State)
Manchester
I have a one plug socket only with two plug ports, which isn’t too good for me as I need 4 ports but I do have extension cables do you recommend using them or would they possibly blow my equipment?‍♂️?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I have a one plug socket only with two plug ports, which isn’t too good for me as I need 4 ports but I do have extension cables do you recommend using them or would they possibly blow my equipment?‍♂️?
Depending on what you're powering, they could overwhelm the wall outlet.
Do you know the amperage rating of the outlet?
You can upgrade the outlet to a higher one and ad a four plug outlet to it.
That'd work to a point.
Hopefully your wiring is also copper. And up to code.

EllisEditz

Manchester
That'd work to a point.
honestly my friend i dont have a clue about this stuff with electrics im so bad with it, is there anything i could possibly purchase for the solution i was looking at this - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0792VWTYC/?tag=

EllisEditz

Manchester
That'd work to a point.
these are the things i would be plugging into the sockets
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07V1Q1R5T/?tag=
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B018K3RAGU/?tag=

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I use extension cords and strip outlets regularly. I check the wattage and make sure the cords and strips can handle much more wattage than I plant to use. For example, if 16 gauge wire can handle the load I'm going to be using, I'll buy 14 huge cords for short runs or 12 gauge cords for longer runs.

What are you powering at the end of the cord? What is wattage of what you are powering? Is it a 100 watt CHE and a 150 watt basking bulb? An 80 watt heat mat or RHP?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

EllisEditz

Manchester
i have a redfoot tortoise, they thrive in high humidity to keep my vivarium at a certain humidity i use the mister/fogger + the inkbird controller to keep it where i want which is 75-80

EllisEditz

Manchester
I use extension cords and strip outlets regularly. I check the wattage and make sure the cords and strips can handle much more wattage than I plant to use. For example, if 16 gauge wire can handle the load I'm going to be using, I'll buy 14 huge cords for short runs or 12 gauge cords for longer runs.

What are you powering at the end of the cord? What is wattage of what you are powering? Is it a 100 watt CHE and a 150 watt basking bulb? An 80 watt heat mat or RHP?
i will get futher information about my wattage as i have no idea but dad will in morning so ill get advice :) and let you know!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
i have a redfoot tortoise, they thrive in high humidity to keep my vivarium at a certain humidity i use the mister/fogger + the inkbird controller to keep it where i want which is 75-80
Higher humidity should be achieved with the correct damp and a closed chamber, not with a humidifier. This is true for all species that require higher humidity.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Higher humidity should be achieved with the correct damp and a closed chamber, not with a humidifier. This is true for all species that require higher humidity.
Should say damp substrate...

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
All true.
High humidity can and should be accomplished by using a substrate such as pure Orchid Bark in a closed chamber enclosure.
In a correct closed chamber enclosure you ad water into the corners of the enclosure. The bark absorbs the liquid and gives off humidity as it evaporates.
A mister/fogger is an unnecessary complexity in my opinion. And your money can be used on other things.
I think all of us seasoned keepers have a box somewhere full of stuff we bought and found out it didn't work as we'd hoped. But cost so much we kept it for a future project...
I have two large totes full of that stuff.

EllisEditz

Manchester
All true.
High humidity can and should be accomplished by using a substrate such as pure Orchid Bark in a closed chamber enclosure.
In a correct closed chamber enclosure you ad water into the corners of the enclosure. The bark absorbs the liquid and gives off humidity as it evaporates.
A mister/fogger is an unnecessary complexity in my opinion. And your money can be used on other things.
I think all of us seasoned keepers have a box somewhere full of stuff we bought and found out it didn't work as we'd hoped. But cost so much we kept it for a future project...
I have two large totes full of that stuff.
i already had ordered the humidifier so worth a shot, its working amazing keeping my humidity exactly at 80, but i will take in your advice and try naturally getting the humidity levels up... :)