Using dogfood for tortoises & box turtles

Status
Not open for further replies.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Alabama
http://www.savannahmonitor.co/stpp/

I posted this link here as a warning because it is often suggested to occasionally feed canned dog food to redfooted tortoises, yellowfoots and box turtles.

Please check out the link above, but in short, it details the presence of STPP (sodium tripolyphosphate or sodium triphosphate) in most canned dog foods. It is also a common component for laundry detergent.

This is sufficient reason to avoid canned goods and pre-packaged seafood items, why would anyone want to feed their lizard detergent phosphate?

Of course, I haven't fed canned dogfood to anything in years for other reasons, but I think this is good enough reason not to do it now.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
That's sick. I never feed canned cat or dog food either. For other reasons as well. Glad I never have. Thanks for sharing.

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
Yeah, I think I will stick to feeding Mazuri to my kids. Thats about like when my wife got her ferret they told her to feed it cat food, I said "thats ok we will stick to the food that is made for him". Thanks for the info!

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Just checked the dog food I use to make my Omnivore goop and it's free of this stuff. For anyone who feeds dogfood to torts and other herps, Blue Buffalo is it.

Status
Not open for further replies.