Ok for sulcata?

Status
Not open for further replies.

5 Year Member
Some kind of "mazuri" that I found on the web, it states that zoos use this kibd of food to feed their tortoises and that all the ingredients come from plants, what do you think?
Ingredients Soybean meal, corn gluten meal, soybean hulls, sugar beet pulp, corn hominy feed, yellow corn, sucrose, dehydrated alfalfa meal, zinc sulfate, soybean oil (stabilized), dicalcium phosphate, flaxseed oil, niacin supplement, apple fiber, manganese sulfate, ferrous sulfate, calcium carbonate, d-calcium pantothenate, sodium chloride, copper sulfate, L-lysine, riboflavin supplement, thiamin mononitrate, cobalt oxide, folic acid, menadione nicotinamide bisulfite (vitamin K), pyridoxine HCL (vitamin B-6), l-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), propionic acid, choline chloride, ethylenediamine dihydriodide, FDC # 40, biotin, sodium selenite, vitamin B-12 supplement, vitamin A supplement, vitamin D-3 supplement, vitamin E supplement. This food is unconditionally guaranteed. Please store in a cool and dry location. Refrigeration is not required. Guaranteed Analysis Crude Protein, min. 23.0 %; Crude Fat, min. 6.5 %; Crude Fiber, max.10.0 %; Avail. Iron, max, 120 ppm; Moisture, max. 10.0 %; Acid Detergent Fiber, min. 13.0 % ; Acid Detergent Fiber, max. 16.0 %; Ash, max. 7.0 %.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Is that the name of the product? Mazuri?

Mazuri makes many different types of exotic pet foods. I personally use Mazuri Tortoise Diet about once a week for my Aldabran tortoises.

lkwagner

5 Year Member
I use mazuri once or twice a week for my 2 year old sulcata

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
If your speaking of "mazuri tortoise diet" then yes, its completely safe....I know of many keepers and breeders that have been using it as a staple for years...No problems.
There are categories to this kind of food. Some feed it 100%, some food it 75% and 25% fresh food, some 50/50, some just use mazuri as a weekly supplement, and some have this abhorrent dislike for it....So you'll find varying opinions anywhere.

Something that must be noted with processed foods...When I first took one look at those ingredients, I said "Who on earth would feed THIS crap to their tortoises?". Well, after awhile, I and many others became more open-minded...Eventually, I understood that it all comes down to the processing. The grains, corns, soybean, etc. can be horrible or perfectly nutritious. Grains are indigestible to humans also...When it is "processed" it breaks down the plants natural defenses, and makes them digestible, releasing the nutrients.
I personally like these kind of diets. Some say it can be used for all species; I agree. Now, you may think, how can it be used for all species when sulcatas can't eat fruit and red foots thrive on it? I thought that to...But when you look at it...ALL species have the same mineral, vitamin, d3, nutrient requirements as each other. They just have different ways to GET those nutrients. So, in my view, a food like this can be very useful, because ALL the nutrients needed can be put into one pellet....
But don't get me wrong. I think they are very good, but I would never feed these foods 100%. 75/25 is as far as I would go.

5 Year Member
RedfootsRule said:
If your speaking of "mazuri tortoise diet" then yes, its completely safe....I know of many keepers and breeders that have been using it as a staple for years...No problems.
There are categories to this kind of food. Some feed it 100%, some food it 75% and 25% fresh food, some 50/50, some just use mazuri as a weekly supplement, and some have this abhorrent dislike for it....So you'll find varying opinions anywhere.

Something that must be noted with processed foods...When I first took one look at those ingredients, I said "Who on earth would feed THIS crap to their tortoises?". Well, after awhile, I and many others became more open-minded...Eventually, I understood that it all comes down to the processing. The grains, corns, soybean, etc. can be horrible or perfectly nutritious. Grains are indigestible to humans also...When it is "processed" it breaks down the plants natural defenses, and makes them digestible, releasing the nutrients.
I personally like these kind of diets. Some say it can be used for all species; I agree. Now, you may think, how can it be used for all species when sulcatas can't eat fruit and red foots thrive on it? I thought that to...But when you look at it...ALL species have the same mineral, vitamin, d3, nutrient requirements as each other. They just have different ways to GET those nutrients. So, in my view, a food like this can be very useful, because ALL the nutrients needed can be put into one pellet....
But don't get me wrong. I think they are very good, but I would never feed these foods 100%. 75/25 is as far as I would go.

yeah it's for tortoises, I'll try it and if my sullies like it I'll maje it 25 mazuri 75 dark greens, THANKS FOR THE INFO!

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Mazuri is a good addition to your torts greens...i mix 10% Mazuri, 5% zoomed with 85% grasses,weeds and greens. I do this daily with no bad outcome. Infact it has bumped my sullly's weight slightly.

Status
Not open for further replies.