Need Info On Box Turtle Care

Cactusflwr1

Location (City and/or State)
Williamsburg, VA
Hi! I am new to the forum and still learning how to navigate it. I have an eastern box turtle my son rescued a few years ago. Shes a tripod and was the size of a bottle cap when he found her on a bridge. I am using the coconut substrate and wandered how often I should change it. Also I have been feeding her the canned box food from petco mixed with fresh veggies and some fish pate style cat food. I have tried freeze dried mealworms, fresh earth worms, meal worms and the typical box mix food. She isnt fond of it and the main reason she wasnt thriving for months. I recently read somewhere that we shouldn't supplement with canned dog or pet food. If that's true, any ideas of what other protein sources she may like?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi and welcome! I don't change my substrate. I use small kibble orchid bark. Cypress mulch is good too. I don't like the coco coir because it's messy, but many people use and like it. At the end of the season I scrap everything and start over with fresh in the Spring.

I also have baby tortoises, and they eat chopped up greens and vegetables. I use this same food mixture for the box turtles, only I add the juice from a can of cat food to 'flavor' the greens and make them eat them.