Using an air stone to raise humidity

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I have been using an aquarium type air stone to raise the humidity in my small R/F indoor tank. It is much more reliable and inexpensive than my fogger, etc. I have a tallish bowl with a lower water level so that not much water actually splashes out and it's on a timer that comes on for four hours at a time with a break in between. Can anyone point out any draw backs?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Fantastic. The only thing I could see an issue with is the air stone being in the water that gets dirty. Make sure to sanitize the stone good. So placing it back into the clean water.

allegraf

10 Year Member!
This is a novel approach, now of it works, it will be ingenious! Keep us posted on your results.

aislingofD

Toronto
I would love to see a pic of this as we are currently fighting a losing battle to get the humidity up in Pao's tank and this sounds like a great solution until we can get her into her big home with a humidifier.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I will try this evening to send in a picture. It's very simple, cheap and takes up no room. For now, let me give you a good description: I used a plastic cylinder that "Crystal Light" drink mix comes in. (I drink a lot of that) I cut about half of the lid off. On the other side of the lid I made a small hole. I filled up the container with water, ran an aquarium air line through the hole on the top (lid) and down into the very bottom of the container. There is a very fine mist airstone on the end of the line. The lid with the hole in it helps the airstone to remain at the bottom, but may not be required. I have a length of air hose, a check valve and an aquarium pump. Maybe $10. Less if you already have fish tank stuff laying around. The whole thing is half burried in my substrate. Standing up. I have a plant parked in front of it. It's not a shape that will give a tortoise any trouble and it'
s easy to refill every two days or so. This mornings humidity before I left work: 92% outside! 94% inside the enclosure indoors and 42% inside my house with all eight of my huge fish tanks going! While I'm at it, it's a closed system, an aquarium. On the bottom of the aquarium a have a 15 watt "heat rope" taped on to the glass. (OUTSIDE of the glass) 15 watts isn't much, but it helps with ambient heat as it reacts with the damp orchid bark under potting soil substrate and the general temperatures are 90 outside. 72 inside the house and 80-81 inside of the enclosure. O.K. photos later.

redfootdaddy

5 Year Member
Toronto ON
Thank you so much! This is definitely a thing I need to try for Pao!

Results have been great! We've actually set up two bubblers, one on each side of Pao's tank, and they are definitely pumping moisture into the air at a steady clip, her humidity levels have been more stable and higher all around.