An aquarium for a redfoot?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tennessee
[ this should be "stickied" ]

You can NOW house your redfoot in an AQUARIUM.. and have fresh air and high humidity levels at the same time!!! AND not be concerned with temp loss either.

If you want to see your redfoot in the living room [ wherever ] in an aquarium.. but have had trouble keeping the temps and humidity where you want them.. and have heard all of this "air circulation" yada yada - LISTEN UP! Don't try to improve on this.. it's so simple that it actually works.

Get an "under-gravel filter" that is designed for the size aquarium you have.. and an air-pump.

Start with an empty aquarium and set the under-gravel filter in place.. the filter "lift-tubes" should be cut to lengths about HALF the height of your aquarium. Set it up just like you would for an aquarium with water in it. Now.. place 3-4 inches of cypress mulch over the filter 'plates'. connect the air-tubes to the pump and plug it in. You will feel air coming out of the 'lift-tubes' [ just like you would see bubbles in a fish aquarium ] COOL HUH??? We're not done yet!

The natural function of the under-gravel filter pulls the air down thru the mulch.. "filters" it and causes a constant flow of FRESH air.. the same temperature as the rest of the air in your "micro-climate" you have created for your redfoot!

At least once a week you will want to wipe off any moisture that may accumulate on the glass. And you will want to create a 'sight-barrier' [ background scenery paper used for fish aquariums is fine ] on the back and both ends.. at least!

Now you can VIRTUALLY seal-up the top to retain the humidity that you want for redfoots.

I know I'm a genius..
BOWDOWN-1.gif

You may also PM me and I'll give you an address to send your $$$ to.. as your token of appreciation.

Actually......................... this technique comes from a friend who has a friend that breeds POISON DART frogs.

Hope this helps...

NERD

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Redfoot NERD said:

You can NOW house your redfoot in an AQUARIUM.. and have fresh air and high humidity levels at the same time!!! AND not be concerned with temp loss either.

If you want to see your redfoot in the living room [ wherever ] in an aquarium.. but have had trouble keeping the temps and humidity where you want them.. and have heard all of this "air circulation" yada yada - LISTEN UP! Don't try to improve on this.. it's so simple that it actually works.

Get an "under-gravel filter" that is designed for the size aquarium you have.. and an air-pump.

Start with an empty aquarium and set the under-gravel filter in place.. the filter "lift-tubes" should be cut to lengths about HALF the height of your aquarium. Set it up just like you would for an aquarium with water in it. Now.. place 3-4 inches of cypress mulch over the filter 'plates'. connect the air-tubes to the pump and plug it in. You will feel air coming out of the 'lift-tubes' [ just like you would see bubbles in a fish aquarium ] COOL HUH??? We're not done yet!

The natural function of the under-gravel filter pulls the air down thru the mulch.. "filters" it and causes a constant flow of FRESH air.. the same temperature as the rest of the air in your "micro-climate" you have created for your redfoot!

At least once a week you will want to wipe off any moisture that may accumulate on the glass. And you will want to create a 'sight-barrier' [ background scenery paper used for fish aquariums is fine ] on the back and both ends.. at least!

Now you can VIRTUALLY seal-up the top to retain the humidity that you want for redfoots.

I know I'm a genius..
BOWDOWN-1.gif

You may also PM me and I'll give you an address to send your $$$ to.. as your token of appreciation.

Actually......................... this technique comes from a friend who has a friend that breeds POISON DART frogs.

Hope this helps...

NERD

Blah, blah, blah.... I've been raising boxies and now a tort in them for years....nothing new. lol LMAO Aquariums are great for any humidity loving species. I have been preaching this for years and years...most will not agree though. I use a screen top, partially covered with clear wrapping tape, and have NEVER had a problem with air flow. Sorry to burst you bubble....

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
terryo said:
Redfoot NERD said:

I know I'm a genius..
BOWDOWN-1.gif

Hope this helps...

NERD

Blah, blah, blah.... I've been raising boxies and now a tort in them for years....nothing new. lol LMAO Aquariums are great for any humidity loving species. I have been preaching this for years and years...most will not agree though. I use a screen top, partially covered with clear wrapping tape, and have NEVER had a problem with air flow. Sorry to burst you bubble....

Blah, blah, blah.... ??? Did that somehow offend you? I was having fun and trying to help those that don't have the "green-thumb" that you have.

TerryO.. you are comparing apples and oranges.. yours works ONLY because you have the plants that provide OXYGEN!

So.. are you providing 'them' with ALL of the facts [ plants provide oxygen ] when you preach "Aquariums for REDFOOTS".. and they don't listen???? You have set-up a perfect and balanced "micro-climate"! What makes you think you have burst my bubble?

NERD

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Nice!

I read about something like this from a link from Tortoise Trust- for boxies I believe- except they used an undertank heater pad and rigged the airflow so the air went to the 'plenum' under the filter, was warmed, then rose through the substrate and humidified. A small valve on the airline helps control the airflow, and thus the temps and humidity.

Of course, I quit the 'no aquariums club' some time ago- I don't see a lot of difference between an aquarium and plastic tubs of about the same size- other than the tubs are cheaper and lighter- but then again, tubs often smell funny (especially when new) and are not usually as pretty as a nice tank.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Redfoot NERD said:
terryo said:
Redfoot NERD said:

I know I'm a genius..
BOWDOWN-1.gif

Hope this helps...

NERD

Blah, blah, blah.... ??? Did that somehow offend you? I was having fun and trying to help those that don't have the "green-thumb" that you have.

TerryO.. you are comparing apples and oranges.. yours works ONLY because you have the plants that provide OXYGEN!

So.. are you providing 'them' with ALL of the facts [ plants provide oxygen ] when you preach "Aquariums for REDFOOTS".. and they don't listen???? You have set-up a perfect and balanced "micro-climate"! What makes you think you have burst my bubble?

NERD

I was only teasing you Terry K. It was a joke. Sorry if you misunderstood.

Neohippy

5 Year Member
Red Deer, AB
That's a pretty nifty idea, considering if you are getting a second hand tank for cheap, they often come with all sorts of useless fish crap. I guess not all of it is so useless.

Before I got my plants in my vivarium, I used an old computer fan wired to a 9VDC plug used for charging cellphones... or something. A cheap and effective was to move air, and a computer fan running at 9V is basically silent. Plus being fairly small, and very light, it was easy to rig up mounting (can even be mounted flat against the glass since we are talking circulation on a small degree, enough to exchange gases and keep mold at bay, yet still retain the all precious humidity). Worked wonderfully, but with the plants and all sorts of creepy crawlies keeping the wastes (gas and solids) recycled, I have since abandoned it.

Now if only there was a quick and effective way to keep my plants alive longer. Creatures of the green and leafy variety, have never been my forte. Unless you count preparing and eating them, then both the tortoises and I are on even playing fields.

dreadyA

5 Year Member
southern cal.
Great info Terry. The extra air flow would probably dry out the substrate alil faster, but you can always remist. Have you been tested it out?
I am curious to see photos.

muddled

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
That's a GREAT idea! :) Undergravel filters are super cheap too. Once I get over my lazyness I'll try it out!

Redfootedboxturtles

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
The only change I am going to make is moss instead of mulch. Wet cypress mulch is to smelly for inside

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
RFBT I use cypress mulch for my hatchling Greeks and I don't find it smelly at all?

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
It 'moves' the air.. not causes an air "Flow".

The idea is used for poison dart frogs.. which require humidity that 'drips' from the side walls of the aquarium. And with the top as "tight" as it is it is virtually odor free. Those frogs need the surface to be wet.. for their bellies - our redfoots don't.

Keep in mind you don't need to have the lid as "tight" as our friend with his frogs.. it will need to breathe some.

I have no pics now.. will get my friend to send some when he gets his set up.

R NERD

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Redfoot NERD said:
[size=large]You can NOW house your redfoot in an AQUARIUM..
NERD

I think Terry-o already knew that!! :D

Yvonne

Redfootedboxturtles

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Terry , is this set up ment to have a loose fitting glass or plactic lid or would a screen lid let to much humidity escape?

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Most people I know have kept their Box turtles in planted vivariums for years, when they have to be inside. New to tortoises, but I think even without plants, a glass vivarium would hold the humidity in better than a plastic tub. I would love to see some pictures of this "new idea" though.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Candy said:
emysemys said:
Redfoot NERD said:
[size=large]You can NOW house your redfoot in an AQUARIUM..
NERD

I think Terry-o already knew that!! :D

Yvonne

I think a lot of people already knew that.

Unfortunately there are a lot more "new" owners that don't.. and that's who I'm directing this thread to! Not the handful that's replying here. Those replies don't make the new ones feel any better.

The majority of new owners that get their first tortoise [ from me or otherwise ] ask if they can use their old aquariums.. and they're always concerned if air circulation is an issue when they cover it to keep the temps up and humidity in!

R NERD

Status
Not open for further replies.