Use of Hay in Enclosure

SarahP_794

Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania
Hey guys!
I have a 3 month old male Eastern Hermann’s Tortoise and right now I am using mostly coconut core for his substrate. It tends to dry out fast so I have been doing quite a few mists a day to keep between 50-70% humidity for him. I realize Hermann’s don’t need too high of humidity but it’s seems to drop 30-40.

I was wondering if anyone suggests to use hay? And what kind they use? I tried using some terrarium moss but he kept trying to eat it. Let me know if you guys have any suggestions, first time tortoise owner ?‍♀️

thanks!

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
Hey guys!
I have a 3 month old male Eastern Hermann’s Tortoise and right now I am using mostly coconut core for his substrate. It tends to dry out fast so I have been doing quite a few mists a day to keep between 50-70% humidity for him. I realize Hermann’s don’t need too high of humidity but it’s seems to drop 30-40.

I was wondering if anyone suggests to use hay? And what kind they use? I tried using some terrarium moss but he kept trying to eat it. Let me know if you guys have any suggestions, first time tortoise owner ?‍♀️

thanks!

No hay. No moss. None of those types of substrate are safe nor good for tortoises in captive environments.

Misting is not an effective way to keep humidity level up. The simplest way is to pour an entire jug of water into your substrate in order to get your humidity within range. You may have to do this daily if you're using an open enclosure and not a closed chamber style enclosure. Make sure your substrate level is at least 4+ inches to get the most out of this method. That and to allow your Hermann to get the most out of their burrowing.

Humidity level should stay above 70% for hatchlings. Adult Hermanns will still benefit from having high humidity levels in their enclosures.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Like Minority stated above - stay away from hay or straw or orchard grass (or rabbit pellets) for a substrate. All of those items easily mold & mildew under moist, damp, warm conditions like we keep our torts on. Orchid bark, coco coir and/or cypress mulch all work so much better. You can eaily super saturate these items first in a bucket of water, then add the substrate. Misting does very little. No hay!

SarahP_794

Pennsylvania
Thank you guys! I will start adding some water in daily to keep his humidity up especially since he likes to burrow. I do have an open enclosure but partly close up over night.

Also do you guys have any tricks to keeping the temp up over night? It gets down to 72 degrees and since i have a baby on my hands i'd like to keep it a bit warmer for him

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
Thank you guys! I will start adding some water in daily to keep his humidity up especially since he likes to burrow. I do have an open enclosure but partly close up over night.

Also do you guys have any tricks to keeping the temp up over night? It gets down to 72 degrees and since i have a baby on my hands i'd like to keep it a bit warmer for him

1. Reptile heat panel, one or more depending on the size of your enclosure, for night time heating. Install it in the inner side of the enclosure. The middle and or cold side are good installation points. Pair it with a temperature controller + digital timer (depending on whether or not you wish to keep it on 24/7 or only at night) and keep it set at 80F.
Reptile Heat Panel:

2. Create a make shift top out of something and lay on top of the open enclosure in order to slow heat and humidity from escaping out of the enclosure. Cardboard, foam, aluminum foil are good options for temporary tops. Greenhouse tents, plexiglass, and plywood are good options for those that wish to make a permanent top. Remember to cut out sections to allow your light and heat fixtures to shine/heat through if you plan on keeping the top on.