URI and Humidity

Status
Not open for further replies.

kellytat2

5 Year Member
So my little sulcata buddy guy Taco has had a RI since a little over a week ago. He's still eating like a champ, getting daily warm soaks, and is taking super small doses of Baytril. He doesn't have anymore bubbly nose episodes but seems to still mouth breath and click occasionally. I've upped his temperatures and now here's the question. I just got a repti-fogger (I had no idea about humidity until joining this forum) should I hold off on using it until he's cleared up or would it help in his recovery? Thank you all for the help so far, just want my little guy to get better!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Is he taking the amount of Baytril prescribed by your vet?

Have you figured out what CAUSED the URI in the first place and corrected it. It's usually low night temps. In the old days it was thought that humidity would cause a RI. We now know better and its actually cold coupled with dampness that can make them sick.

We had a member here with a sick star tortoises and his vet told him to put the tort in an incubator and keep it really warm and humid all the time, and this helped the tort recover.

Personally, I think I'd get him healthy and over this sickness, and address the cause of the illness, before I'd would go making drastic changes like adding a humidifier.

kellytat2

5 Year Member
Hi Tom! He is taking his Baytril as prescribed, and he seems to be responding to it well. Our vet has told us to give him .1 (the very first line of the syringe) of Baytril every 3rd day for about a month. Taco is a little guy so I'm assuming that's why the dose is so low.

He did not have a heat source at night prior to this and right about the time I noticed his nose bubbles I had changed his bulb to a MVB and added a ceramic heat emitter for night time. And we upped his temperatures after he got sick.

I'll definitely hold off on the fogger til he's all better again.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I'll bet things get better now. The night heat thing is a biggie for baby sulcatas. I wish more pet stores and sellers would emphasize this...

mikeh

5 Year Member
He may benefit from an additional daily soak while on antibiotics to aid with;

a) keeping the system flushed as a month of antibiotics is hard on kidneys

b) hydration, as the new MVB, and CHE for night heat will make the air drier then before. (While the fogger is on hold)

sent from mobile device using TFO app

Status
Not open for further replies.