F10sc for URI

iLykeTuRtL3z

5 Year Member
I have a small leopard tort ( about 6-7 inches) that I took into the vet only 4 months ago for nasal discharge. We went over my set up and temp, diet everything was in check and I was prescribed 6 weeks of baytril injections every other day and that seemed to clear it up. I was instructed to call the vet after the medication was complete to touch base and informed her that although the tortoise hadn't blown a bubble out of the nose about 2 weeks after starting the medication, when I held her up to my ear I could hear a faint click, vet said that should be fine, and I was probably being hyper cautious, and that was that.

Well I'm very distraught that my tortoise is again blowing bubbles out of the nose and having discharge. I'm not in a financial position to take her back to the vet after blowing $500 not even six months ago. I am hoping that someone here can help me out. I've read promising things about nebulizing with diluted f10sc to clear URI in tortoises. I have f10 and have nebulized my tortoise once already using the 3ml to 1L dilution but have questions regarding it. First It seems rather almost counter productive to be increasing the humidity and making the tortoise breathe in more water vapor when the tort is experiencing discharge. I've also read that a dilute solution of f10 and water can be used as nasal drops to really deliver the f10 effectively- I'm very interested in this but would need to know the dilution and time period

If anyone have any information regarding using f10 for a URI please let me know. Please know that if I had the money to take my tortoise back to the vet I would but I simple cannot afford to seeing as I just went

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
I have a small leopard tort ( about 6-7 inches) that I took into the vet only 4 months ago for nasal discharge. We went over my set up and temp, diet everything was in check and I was prescribed 6 weeks of baytril injections every other day and that seemed to clear it up. I was instructed to call the vet after the medication was complete to touch base and informed her that although the tortoise hadn't blown a bubble out of the nose about 2 weeks after starting the medication, when I held her up to my ear I could hear a faint click, vet said that should be fine, and I was probably being hyper cautious, and that was that.

Well I'm very distraught that my tortoise is again blowing bubbles out of the nose and having discharge. I'm not in a financial position to take her back to the vet after blowing $500 not even six months ago. I am hoping that someone here can help me out. I've read promising things about nebulizing with diluted f10sc to clear URI in tortoises. I have f10 and have nebulized my tortoise once already using the 3ml to 1L dilution but have questions regarding it. First It seems rather almost counter productive to be increasing the humidity and making the tortoise breathe in more water vapor when the tort is experiencing discharge. I've also read that a dilute solution of f10 and water can be used as nasal drops to really deliver the f10 effectively- I'm very interested in this but would need to know the dilution and time period

If anyone have any information regarding using f10 for a URI please let me know. Please know that if I had the money to take my tortoise back to the vet I would but I simple cannot afford to seeing as I just went

I would be more concerned with the "why" as the cause of the RI....I know that this type of treatment/chemical is up for debate lately, however, with such a small margin for error, I would not enclose and animal who already has sensitive lungs/airways to chemicals designed to disinfect....I know, says it is not harmful "if used as directed"...however, there is not really a section on the bottle that outlines the way to use it as a RI cure...so using it that way is not in anyway the original designated use....???

I understand sometimes money is funny....however, there are some things you can do to help the comfort of the tort and to also reduce the symptoms of the illness until you can get some money gathered to acquire some antibiotics...I personally would suggest that you do no less than two weeks of antibiotic...but not alone, I mean...there is a reason this is happening...what is the day and night temps you are housing the tortoise in? what is the humidity you are keeping the tortoise enclosed in? what type of uv rays, what type of heat source? what type of substrate are you running and how deep? Is this the only tortoise in the enclosure or has it been enclosed with others???? Where did you acquire the tortoise from?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Some leopard tortoises are allergic to Baytril.

I would set the tortoise up in a smaller hospital tank and fix it so the temperature is 85F degrees all over the whole tank. Cover it to keep the cooler house air out.

I hadn't heard of "f10sc" so I Googled it, and the results show that it is a veterinary disinfectant. I would hesitate to use something like that on a sick tortoise, but let's see if @exoticsdr or @deadheadvet have any words of wisdom for us.

In the meantime, please show us a picture of your tortoise in his habitat, and describe the way you have him set up. Maybe we can spot something that will help you.

deadheadvet

10 Year Member!
Cary, NC
I would not use it, even at dilute amounts of Clorox( obviously different) is very caustic to membranes. This is also a disinfectant so I would not do it, Without knowing what organism you are dealing with, very difficult to get resolution to the problem. Nobody said keeping tortoises was cheap. As Yvonne said, if you are not going to go back to the vet, best you can do is soak every day and keep the temp up. Best advice is to get a culture of the discharge and PCR test for Mycoplasma.