URGENT my turtle , ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
We know you are trying we are only offering advice.

zzzdanz

5 Year Member
Boston
I don't know where you're from,but if you're in Ma. I have a pond I can give you, or a 75gal. set up w/lights and filter you can also have.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
What a generous offer! I am continuously amazed by the kindness of our members. Thank you for being so helpful.

zzzdanz

5 Year Member
Boston
I'm just sorry I couldn't help getting you those things...I know you probally don't want to hear re-home 1, but..well..re-home1. Maybe down the road when you have a bigger enclosure you can add another 1.

It would be best for your turtle.

MichelleCarrigan78

10 Year Member!
Minnesota
This may not be the season (at least where I'm from), but garage sales will sometimes have aquariums and such...

lincoln3313

5 Year Member
Our local Goodwill store always seems to have 10 gallon aquariums, and they are priced at $2-$5. Sometimes they even have the lighting and items with them. Just an idea.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
and then feed them in a plastic dish pan.

(to further Michelle's thought)

LindaF

5 Year Member
In your post yesterday, you had just cleaned the tanks. Did you treat the water? Straight tap water has too much chlorine and can inflame the eyes. Did you find away to seperate them? I like the above suggestion to use the feeding tank as a second tank. Some people don't like them, but I got a turtle topper from plenn plax. It really gave my sliders some more room to swim since i could fill the tank all the way up. It will buy you some more time while you save up for the bigger tank.

zzzdanz

5 Year Member
Boston
I'm just guessing the feed tank is probally quite small...How about a Herp. Society in your area?, Maybe someone from there can donate a tank.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
The feeding tank if I remember correctly is a 20 long. Not ideal, but definitely a better option than stressing to death.

You can build a cheap and simple above tank basking area. I built one once for $7. You could probably use a small amount of plastic canvas for a ramp.

http://tortoiseforum.org/Thread-My-7-above-tank-basking-area

This is what I mean by plastic canvas. A 4 pack is like $3 at Walmart.

152034-2-1.jpg

I also built a wooden above tank platform for my DBT. It cost around $25 for the plexi and stainless steel screws (won't rust) and everything.

KristinasPictures3982.jpg

KristinasPictures3984.jpg

KristinasPictures3986.jpg

I also agree that there could be something in the water that is irritating her eyes. Why isn't the boy having issues? Because some turtles are just more sensitive than others. You should use a water conditioner. I personally like Prime, you can buy it at Petsmart or Petco, it is cheap and only requires 1-2 drops per gallon.

And again, I agree with Yvonne that you can use the 20 long as a second tank (even without a basking platform) and just get a dish pan or storage tub at the dollar store to feed in.

You said your turtles are healthy, but if one is on the bottom with closed eyes - that is NOT a healthy turtle. You need to do something, and separating would be the first step.

MichelleCarrigan78

10 Year Member!
Minnesota
LindaF said:
In your post yesterday, you had just cleaned the tanks. Did you treat the water? Straight tap water has too much chlorine and can inflame the eyes. Did you find away to seperate them? I like the above suggestion to use the feeding tank as a second tank. Some people don't like them, but I got a turtle topper from plenn plax. It really gave my sliders some more room to swim since i could fill the tank all the way up. It will buy you some more time while you save up for the bigger tank.

I love my turtle topper, and so does Hermes! Although they are kinda loud lol

Status
Not open for further replies.