OMG. -__-

Status
Not open for further replies.

doubledfight

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arkansas
i have two yellow belly sliders in a forty gallon tankkk,, ive had them for about two yearrrss, and here for the past month the girll turtle keeps bitting everything in the tankk, she has torn off al the rubber on the heater, she is ruining it, i dont know what to do ,she ruining expensive things i have bought for them, i dont know how to make her stop ,,, PLEASE HELPP.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I would move them into a bigger and less expensive home, a kiddie pool is pretty cheap and nothing for her to bite. She could be stressed and want more space, or she could just be curious and wonders how all those expensive looking things taste.

doubledfight

5 Year Member
Arkansas
dmmj said:
I would move them into a bigger and less expensive home, a kiddie pool is pretty cheap and nothing for her to bite. She could be stressed and want more space, or she could just be curious and wonders how all those expensive looking things taste.

a kiddie pool is smaller than her tankk???
or atleast the little plastic ones are,,,, i want to put her
out in a pond but to much money,,, && no matter what in the winter
she still has to go back inside to the 40 gallon . D:

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
The kiddie pools in my area are huge, I have one outdoors where I keep mine and they swim around all day long, of course california's winters are usually warmer than other areas.

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
Don't turtles in the wild hibernate to the bottom, below the freezing area? Just something I remember reading. I know my pond fish do this. I stop feeding them when it gets cold and forget about them until the spring. I go out and throw food in the pond and check water conditions. They usually come back fine. Same with the pond plants.

LindaF

5 Year Member
Do you have an above tank basking set up. That way it would increase your water level in your tank. There are lots you could make yourself or you can buy a turtle topper. Another suggestion is too get a large and sturdy rubber maid bin (I think there are even 50 gal size ones) and put them outside for some sun and fresh air. Just don't put you tank outside it will get too hot and cook the poor things.

doubledfight

5 Year Member
Arkansas
DixieParadise said:
Don't turtles in the wild hibernate to the bottom, below the freezing area? Just something I remember reading. I know my pond fish do this. I stop feeding them when it gets cold and forget about them until the spring. I go out and throw food in the pond and check water conditions. They usually come back fine. Same with the pond plants.

yess , but my turtles arent wild, && will be in a pond, theres nothing warm in a pond they can dig down in like they can in a lake or something.

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
I understood yours not to be Wild Caught, I was just asking. As many species of Torts and Turtles hibernate..I don't have turtles in my pond. Just fish and frogs...

doubledfight

5 Year Member
Arkansas
DixieParadise said:
I understood yours not to be Wild Caught, I was just asking. As many species of Torts and Turtles hibernate..I don't have turtles in my pond. Just fish and frogs...

i wish my turtles could stay out all year long.

pebblelu

5 Year Member
I keep 3 red ear sliders out side all year in a stock tank. They hibernate in the winter at the bottom of the tank. They are cb.
I've done this for 2 winters so far and have had no problems. Just be sure to stop feeding in time so they have no food in there bellys that will rot.

68merc

10 Year Member!
Fresno, CA
Try adding cuddle bone to the tank. He/she might be missing calcium their diet. You can find them in the bird section of any pet store. Just let it float in the water.

Saloli

5 Year Member
middle river
i put sand in the bottom of the pond for the turtles when i had a pond (it's been gone a few years). why do you have a heater in the first place?

Status
Not open for further replies.