URGENT my turtle , ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

doubledfight

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arkansas
so i have two yellow belly sliders in a forty gallon tank , ive had them for 1 year. ones a boy , and ones a girl. The girl is always just sitting at the bottom of the tank with her eyes closed, . and the boy is still very active and swims around and stuff. i do not know what is wrong with her. could she be pregnannt or something. ? please help .

zzzdanz

5 Year Member
Boston
RE: URGENY my turtle , ?

Sounds like she's stressed from the male..are they 1 yr old or is that just how long you've had her?...Seperate them regardless.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan

First things first - quarantine her. Get her out of the tank right away.

Second, more info please. Lighting, temperatures, how frequent you change the water, are her eyes swollen or just closed, basking area provided?

doubledfight

5 Year Member
Arkansas

the male is always bugging her , and ive had them for a year and thats how old they are.
i cant seperate them, i dont have another tank to put her in.
and welll, shes been to the vets about 8 months ago, and she had eye infections which they gave me medicine, so its possible her eye infections have came back .
uhm they have two uvb light and a basking light,
filter, heater set a 78 degrees , water is changed once a week or once every two weeks.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA

If they are only 1 year old they can't be sexed yet.

TashaR

5 Year Member
Wisconsin

If they are YBS and they are a year old, how do you know if they're male or female? You can't sex YBS until they are bigger, like four inches, and yearling YBS aren't that big yet.

Are they very different in size?

What do you feed them?

I know they have a basking light but does she bask?

zzzdanz

5 Year Member
Boston

I have to go with stress..even if you can put her in a rubber maid set up,they need to be seperated.If it's any kind of illness it's probally going to spread to the other 1 ..I really can't give you anymore advice then that.

doubledfight

5 Year Member
Arkansas

uhm, i took them to the vet thats how i know the gender.
and there way bigger then four inches ,
there about 10inces well the girll
and the boy is about 8 inches.
and yes she does bask.
quiet often,

i feed them pellets and shrimp.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan

If they are that big, I highly doubt they are only a year old.

You need to get her out of the tank and in to her own set up. Period. It doesn't have to be a tank. It can be a rubbermaid tub or any other container that you can set up.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA

if they are the size you say and they are male and female he is provably stressing her out, males like to mate constantly, so separation is the most likely cure.

MichelleCarrigan78

10 Year Member!
Minnesota

Besides the stress factor, I just wanted to add that you have 18 inches of turtles in a 40 gallon tank. The general rule is 10 gallons per inch of shell which would mean you need 180 gallons of tank(s) to house them properly.

TashaR

5 Year Member
Wisconsin

I agree with everyone else.

1) They are not a year old. They are much older.

2) That tank is way too small. Even with frequent water changes and a good filter, that water is getting dirtier faster than it can be filtered. I have two YBS in a 20 gallon long. They are each about an inch and a half long. I'm already thinking it's time to upgrade.

3) The male is trying to mate with her and stressing her, and there is no place for her to go to get away from him

They need separate tanks and big ones, as soon as possible. I think you'll see a real turn around in her behavior when she has swimming room and isn't being chased. Also, if your vet said they were only a year old, or agreed with you saying they were only a year old, I would probably find a different vet. However, the size difference and the fact that the smaller one is picking on the larger one do suggest that they are one of each.

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio

How long has she been sitting at the bottom WITH HER EYES CLOSED? Sounds to me like another eye infection, or possibly a different illness. How often do you do a water change? Is she eating?

zzzdanz

5 Year Member
Boston
The stress the female is under is going to cause illness/possible death.The imune system will start to deteriorate and she wont be able to fight off any illness she may get.Never mind she probally isn't eating properly if at all.

The only sollution is seperation.And make sure she has a laying area for her eggs, fertile or not.

doubledfight

5 Year Member
Arkansas
yes..........shes a year old ive had her since she hatched i think i would know.
and they are healthy , i take good care of them.
at my house we are low on money but im trying to save up for a pond.
for outside. i dont have extra heaters, and lights to put on another tank in order to seprate them,
like i said ourfaimly is low on moneyk and im only 14. i dont know what to do i told mydad. he feeds them, cuz i go to schgool and he said shes
eathing normally ,, so shes fine in that area. );i just dont want her to get sick.how long do i seperate them for.?

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
forever, you either need to separate them or provide a huge enclosure, so she has plenty of places to hide from him, he won't stop trying to mate with her.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Destiny:

I'm really sorry that you're having so much trouble. I think the consensus of opinion seems to be that they have to be separated. This is just one of the costs that occur when keeping animals as pets. It sometimes costs more money for new housing, vet bills. You just never know when you're going to be asked to spend more money on your pets. If you want your female tortoise to live and be healthy, she'll need to have her own habitat...whether its another aquarium or a plastic tub or whatever. It would have to be forever or until you can get a big outdoor pond going.

You said that your dad feeds them, which makes it sound like maybe you might have an ally there. Try to stress to him the importance of having a separate habitat for your female turtle and maybe he'll help you out.

Keep an eye on the craig's list ads. You can sometimes pick up aquarium supplies pretty cheaply there.

Good luck with your turtle.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Craigs List is a great place to look. For ponds too.
Look under the Pet section and the Farm and Garden section.
or EBay..
SOunds like you have a lot of stuff to put on a Christmas want list!

Status
Not open for further replies.