Urgent - Help Required about UVB

Status
Not open for further replies.

numanshahid87

5 Year Member
Hello everyone, I am new to the forum. Some of my questions may seem silly but kindly bear with me, I am in desperate need of your help.

Long story short, I bought two adorable torts from a pet shop in Jeddah Saudi Arabia (I believe them to be horsefields). Before the purchase, I was told by the customer reps that all they need to eat, is lettuce, once a day and that they should be kept away from direct air conditioning. How difficult can that be right? so I bought them.

After the purchase, out of curiosity i surfed the internet regarding the maintenance of tortoise. I was shocked at how the pet shop missed out on all the important stuff. The appropriate substrate, UV lighting, the optimum temperature, the variation in diet. Unbelievable!

I decided to return them back to the shop, but then I realized the incompetence and lack of knowledge displayed the customer reps in the shop was definitely going to kill the adorable little reptiles so i decided to keep them and provide all the necessary stuff they need for their well being.

I was able to form a substrate for them consisting of soil and sand (50-50). The sand is of some special sort for the reptiles and includes calcium as well. As for the diet, I have made a weekly schedule, comprising of a variety of greens.

The issue is the lighting. I have searched quite a few shops (including electric supplies) but they don't seem to have UV lamps or UV bulbs for reptiles. I even called my pet shop to ask them what they were using, and they said it was a normal bulb. Fortunately here in Saudi Arabia, reasonable amount of direct sunlight is available. But I don't really want to depend on that alone.

I know this might be extremely random, but do you know where I can purchase a UV lamp and a heat lamp in Jeddah? Or are there any shops outside the country that may DHL such products to Jeddah, Saudi Arabia (the postal system here may take months).

All sorts of Opinions and comments are welcome. Thank You

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
RE: Urgent - Help Required

Hi numanshahid87 and welcome to the Forum!

If you can make your new tortoise an outside habitat, a safe one that he can't escape from, then just a few hours of real sunshine a week will be all he needs, and you can get buy with just regular lighting in the house.

Or, if you can order online, this is what some of us use:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002AQDJ0/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal

I agree with Yvonne - save your money on the bulbs and let them have free natural sunlight. I live in a sunny area and rarely use UV light. I just make sure they get out once or twice a week for a few hours. Good luck! :)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California

Also, I would get rid of the 50 % calcium sand from the mix....I mean, if you need to use sand at all, I would bring that down to like 25% and not the calci sand...

numanshahid87

5 Year Member
Thank you all for your prompt replies

Unfortunately as I live in a flat on 8th floor, an outside enclosure is not an option for my torts.

I will order the bulb recommended above straight away, till then ill ensure they get reasonable amount of sun daily.

Lastly, could you identify the species of my torts please? They look horsefields to me.

Once again thank you for your help.

Attachments

• image-1875048582.png
    image-1875048582.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • image-2876697902.png
    image-2876697902.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • image-3658463758.png
    image-3658463758.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 0

ismail

5 Year Member
numanshahid87 said:
Lastly, could you identify the species of my torts please? They look horsefields to me.

Am i the only one not seeing the pics? ;)

numanshahid87

5 Year Member
.. Ahem..well this is embarrassing :p

I believe my phone is playing up, i shall re upload the pics once i have access to my computer. :)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hi and welcome! If these are adults, then the sunlight becomes less of an issue (as is UVB). I agree with getting rid of the calcium sand, that stuff is worse then regular sand. I also agree get the sand down to only like 25%. Of course, I also have no idea what your soil is like to start with. Your doing good, so don't start getting worried yet. Most everybody spends some tie tweaking and trying new ways and ideas. Glad your here!

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Good luck getting the pic figured out, meanwhile, welcome!

Do you have a balcony? Might be too hot to leave them there, but if they were monitored, even 1/2 to 1 hour of sun per day is beneficial.

As far as the bulbs, Amazon UK or France may ship to your area...

Status
Not open for further replies.