Greek Tortoise Care Inquires

Pungent

Location (City and/or State)
Eastern Province, Saudi Arabia
Info:
-The Tortoise is still young (about 4cm tall)
-I live in Eastern Province of Saudi Arabia

1.Should I let the turtle roam outside in the sun and if yes, how long and when

2.How long do they sleep and what are their active hours

3.What are the proper temperatures i should be aiming at for the inclosure?

Thank you very much in advance you have all been very helpful and friendly to me :<3:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
1. Yes, tortoises do very well when allowed real sunshine, however, they can get away from you in the blink of an eye, so a safe and secure fenced area is best for the tortoise.
2. Most tortoises come out, sit in the sun for an hour or so, eat, then go back into their shelter. They may come back out later in the late afternoon, eat, then go back into the shelter.
3. Indoors there should be a place directly under the light that gets up to about 100F degrees, with the rest of the enclosure in the 70sF or 80sF

You'll find plenty of good information on Greek tortoises here: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/greek-tortoise-care-guide.174622/

Pungent

1. Yes, tortoises do very well when allowed real sunshine, however, they can get away from you in the blink of an eye, so a safe and secure fenced area is best for the tortoise.
2. Most tortoises come out, sit in the sun for an hour or so, eat, then go back into their shelter. They may come back out later in the late afternoon, eat, then go back into the shelter.
3. Indoors there should be a place directly under the light that gets up to about 100F degrees, with the rest of the enclosure in the 70sF or 80sF

You'll find plenty of good information on Greek tortoises here: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/greek-tortoise-care-guide.174622/
My tort sleeps a lot, it gently moves its hands every couple of minutes but its mostly sleeping, i put some lettuce out but they wont eat, they havent eaten anything since yesterday when i got them from the shop

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Tortoises are afraid of change. They're territorial, even at that young age. He doesn't know if there's a big bad predator out in this new enclosure, so he stays hidden.

Every morning get him up and place him into a shallow bowl of water (the water comes up to the middle of his sides, where the top shell meets the bottom shell). Leave him in there while you prepare his breakfast (and lettuce has hardly any nutrition). Look for edible weeds. And buy dark leafy greens from the store (dandelion, mustard, collard, etc.)

After soaking for about 15 or 20 minutes get him out and place him in front of the food, then quickly step out of his sight.

You referred to, ". . . they won't eat. . ." Do you have more than one tortoise in the same enclosure?

May we please see a picture of the enclosure where the tortoise lives?

Pungent

Tortoises are afraid of change. They're territorial, even at that young age. He doesn't know if there's a big bad predator out in this new enclosure, so he stays hidden.

Every morning get him up and place him into a shallow bowl of water (the water comes up to the middle of his sides, where the top shell meets the bottom shell). Leave him in there while you prepare his breakfast (and lettuce has hardly any nutrition). Look for edible weeds. And buy dark leafy greens from the store (dandelion, mustard, collard, etc.)

After soaking for about 15 or 20 minutes get him out and place him in front of the food, then quickly step out of his sight.

You referred to, ". . . they won't eat. . ." Do you have more than one tortoise in the same enclosure?

May we please see a picture of the enclosure where the tortoise lives?
I'm only referring to it as They, because I still dont know their gender, It's just one turtle. I'm waiting for bulbs and equipment to arrive then i will start moving him to the new enclosure 15886966841264676234180121333599.jpg
also, I noticed he ate a good part of the lettuce, so he is eating (im gonna start referring to it as Him now so others dont get confused)

One last note, I want alternatives to lettuce, is there a thread or article that lists things i can feed him? (can i feed him carrots?)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The link I posted for you takes you to the care sheet and it talks about diet.