Upside down sully

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrishelby

5 Year Member
Hello everyone, we have been gone from here for a few months. Anyone that helped out when Shelby was getting a little sick, thanks, she is all better now with some antibiotics. My only problem now is she has been trying to climb up the sides of the tank and flipping over! We turn her over as soon as we see her but we worry she will do it when we're not home. My big question is at the age of 9 months, how long can they be on there back before they are at risk of suffocating? Thanks.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
I think the true answer is that it varies from tortoise to tortoise.

My answer is 'longer than you think, but that doesn't stop you worrying'. Obviously a long period upside down under the basking lamp is of biggest concern.

Torts do love to climb, so really the only option is to allow them to learn to do so safely. Provide plenty of stones and things so your tort can learn to turn back.

When you are around to keep popping in and checking, put some bigger climbing obstacles in. They do learn to climb so safely, but it takes practice. Joe can get up and down something the height of 2 house bricks and hasn't tipped over in a couple of years that I know of.

nicoleandrocky

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
When she flips over the next time let her stay there while you watch (don't let her know) and see if she can turn over herself. if she can't turn her back over.

Status
Not open for further replies.