Upside down

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I would try to make the habitat more baby-inviting, more comfortable so the baby stops trying to escape. Several potted plants to hide under, two actual hiding places. Double check the temperature all over the floor of the habitat and make sure it isn't too hot or too cold. But my gut is telling me the space is too wide open and he's looking for a safe place to hide.

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
:eek:
I would try to make the habitat more baby-inviting, more comfortable so the baby stops trying to escape. Several potted plants to hide under, two actual hiding places. Double check the temperature all over the floor of the habitat and make sure it isn't too hot or too cold. But my gut is telling me the space is too wide open and he's looking for a safe place to hide.
Off topic.... does it, at all, disturb you that "old timer" is written next to your avatar? :eek:
hahahahahaha:D

Just to note, I haven't found Shirley upside down in ages (since before I made this thread).
Stopping her falling upside down was never my question (I know they do this occasionally and I didn't think Shirley was out of the ordinary in this regard), it was whether to intervene and put her back the right way up or leave her. Most of the answers confirmed what I thought - no official right answer, let them try for a while but obviously nobody wants to stress out their tortoise so put them right before it gets to this. Thanks for the replies!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I guess honestly, none of us know how many times we've had tortoises flip over and were able to remedy it by themselves.
It does seem to me that babies are less skilled at it than adults. They are also weaker in general and the whole ordeal is likely much more dangerous for them.